Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Good Day

Today was a very eventual day at the junior high. Our librarian's son, a very accomplished military pilot who was on his way to somewhere military related, flew his giant DC-something-or-other real low over the school. Most of the classes came out to watch as the ginormous cargo plane buzzed us twice. It was such a great addition to the academic day that I proposed we make "airplane watching" a part of the daily curriculum. The kidlets (and many of the teachers) agreed with my proposal becuase, well, THAT GIANT AIRPLANE ROCKED!

Earlier in the day, we finally got around to have the silly string war that the kidlets earned during their Accelerated Reader Challenge in February. It was a total blast...even though I still have silly string tangled in my hair, stuck inside my ears, and smooshed into my clothing 11 hours later.

When the fumes settled at the end of the fight, it was clear that the teachers had kicked some serious kidlet backside. Here I am explaining to this sweet little 8th grader that, "Teachers rule and students drool!" You can tell by the big smile on her face that she agreed.

And as if today wasn't already cool enough, my A-day kidlets made it even better by singing the ECA Song at the top of their silly-string-fume-damaged lungs to the principal and other assorted staff members who were cleaning up the silly string carnage from the floor outside my room.
THE ECA SONG
(to the tune of "Kill the Beast" from Disney's Beauty and the Beast)
The test will make off with your playstations!
He'll come after your Wii's in the night!
You're not safe until your grade is mounted on your fridge!
I say we kill the beast!
We're not safe until its dead!
It will come stalking us at night!
Said to sacrifice our grades to its monstrous appetite!
He'll wreak havoc on our summer if we let him wander free!
So it's time to take some action kids!
Its time to follow me!

Through the halls, down the ramp,
Through the lunchroom to the classroom,
Its a nightmare but its one exciting ride!
Say a prayer then we're there
At the doorway to a classroom
And there's something truly terrible inside.

Its a test! Its got fangs, razor sharp ones!
Massive paws, killer claws on four arms!
Hear it roar, see it foam, but we're not going home till it's dead!
Good and dead!
Ace the TEST!
Eat a mint, grab your desk,
Find that knowledge in your thinking place!
We're counting on Miss H to lead the way!
On page one, then page two
Where we'll find a tricky question.
Its the kind that you don't see every day!
It's a test just as long as a novel.
We won't rest till its good and filled in!
Sally Forth, Tally Ho!
Grab your lead, breath real slow
Now's the moment...here we go!
We'll find all the answers and fill in the bubbles!

We won't pass what we don't understand
And so it scares us
And this final is mysterious at least!
Grab your lead, and your guides!
Don't forget those study guides!
WE'LL SAVE OUR GRADES AND SOCIAL LIVES!
WE'LL ACE THE TEST!

And they will "Ace the test" too...just wait and see!

6 comments:

Janiece said...

That is so awesome!! I was even in town today...wish I had not missed the GIANT plane!
the song ROCKS
and can I say silly string fights are the best!

angelicindy said...

I have to be careful about that ECA song now; I'll be singing it the rest of the day in my head. Thanks Mindy!

Jessica said...

The silly string war was hilarious! The jet was pretty cool too. You are so fun! By the way what is the youtube video of Brinkerhoff called? Bye!

Nat said...

Silly string wars! AWESOME! And I love your song.

Jessica said...

My mom just had a look on the blog. She left a comment on the post talking about strange, funny names. But I didn't think you'd find it if I didn't tell you so....!

Kar said...

My cat is "helping" me type - naughty thing! I love that! And I love that they sang it to the principal. Your principal needs to give you a $100,000 raise. That's my opinion. Not many teachers like you.