The first casualty to suffer in the name of education was Iron Man. When I first started reading this poem with my classes, I would pick a female kidlet to dress up as Bess, the Highwayman's doomed love. The girls didn't mind the dressing up, but they did have a problem with having the drama musket tied to them to facilitate Bess's noble act of self sacrifice. So last year I tried dressing up boys as Bess, but that worked a little too well. They loved recreating Bess's death scene so much that we spent half the class period resolving disputes over who got to put on the dress and have the musket tied to them.
In an attempt to avoid those problems this year, Iron Man was recruited to "take one for the team" and be our Bess stand in. The kids enjoyed it, but at the same time were somewhat concerned for Iron Man's emotional well-being. A few even suggested that I invite the school counselor down to talk to him about any issues his cross-dressing episode may have left him with.
After reading the poem and acting out several key scenes, the kidlets were assigned to write a newspaper article. In order for them to write truly informative articles, the kidlets needed more details than the poem provided, so we held a press conference so that they could interview various witnesses to the events in the poem.
First up was Bess's grieving father, Mr. Lordland the landlord.
Once the kids had finished practicing their higher-order-thinking and questioning skills on Mr. Lordland, they were able to interrogate Tim the vengeful stable boy. It was Tim's tattling to the red coats that led to the deaths of Bess and her sweetie the Highwayman and the kidlets grilled him mercilessly about that. They also asked him why he was speaking with a southern accent when the poem was set in 18th century England. 
Next came one of the red coats who had been present at both of the unfortunate deaths. Merv the soldier. The kids were particularly hard on him because, according to the text, the soldiers were drunk on duty when the tragic events transpired.

But even the kidlets disapproval of the drunken redcoat was nothing compared to the abject hatred they very quickly developed for one of the Highwayman's victims, the Grand Duchess Wealthina VonRichie. Days later, the kidlets were still complaining about how rude she had been to them during the press conference because they were"poor disgusting gutter rats."
Talk about taking one for the team...

Next came one of the red coats who had been present at both of the unfortunate deaths. Merv the soldier. The kids were particularly hard on him because, according to the text, the soldiers were drunk on duty when the tragic events transpired.

But even the kidlets disapproval of the drunken redcoat was nothing compared to the abject hatred they very quickly developed for one of the Highwayman's victims, the Grand Duchess Wealthina VonRichie. Days later, the kidlets were still complaining about how rude she had been to them during the press conference because they were"poor disgusting gutter rats."
But in the end, my two days of self-inflicted multiple personality disorder were worth it. The kids review valuable writing skills and practiced vital thinking and questioning skills. And some day, with a lot of intense therapy along with serious pharmaceutical intervention, Iron Man and I may recover from the "Highwayman" unit.
And it helps to know that I am not the only teacher in my school willing to suffer humiliations on a grand scale for the good of the kidlets. In February, we challenged the kidlets to earn 5,000 Accelerated Reader points and promised them that if they made that goal, our principal and the guy teachers would wear dresses to school.
Well, the kids ended up with 9,000 AR points, and the male role models at our school went above and beyond the call of duty...dressing up as Hannah Montana and her back-up singers to perform a special musical number at our talent show last Friday.
Talk about taking one for the team...
How much do we love our kidlets?
What would we do to help them succeed?
We care enough to "take one for the team" on a regular basis... and love every minute of it.


9 comments:
You are the best teacher ever. I wish I was in your class. My hit for the team today was producing the best talent show they've seen in years. Hooray! Now I get to sleep in tomorrow.
I love, LOVE L♥VE it! You are the best teacher in the universe. And I would show that pic of Iron man all dressed up to my kids, but I think it would traumatize them to no end; when they're 7th graders, though, I think they would be able to handle it.
oh my goodness! I would love to hear all your different accents as you change characters! And what great wigs! You must have a plethera of costumes and one heck of a costume box/ bag (or whatever you use to store costumes in your family). But my absolute favorite is the Hanana Montana. What a brilliant idea! I actually laughed at work. Apparently, I shouldn't read your blog while I'm at work because people asked me what I was laughing at! :)
I mean I laughed outloud at work :)
You are AWESOME! I was very sad because Friday was State National History Day, so I missed the talent show. I was so bummed about not being able to see the guys in dresses, so thanks for the picture!
I think I may need to move to "Farm Town" so that my kids can be in your English class. You are inspirational.
mr. francis would be proud. :) sounds like fun. :)
If I had had a teacher like you, maybe I would have actually liked going to school! I bet your kids really enjoy having you for a teacher. Snaps for you!
You are by far the best teacher ever!!!
Post a Comment