I drove up the road apiece after school today to meet some friends at Shoshone Falls. I have lived in this area for over four years, but had never been to see the local natural wonder. As we neared the falls, my friend Zealanda commented that Shoshone Falls is, "The Niagara of the West". That comment got me thinking about the actual Niagara Falls that I was privileged to visit twice over the course of my mission.
As I thought about those two p-day excursions, a long-buried memory came rushing back to me...I am scared of waterfalls. Not the cute little waterfalls in my hometown, of course. Being afraid of those falls would be like being afraid of a fuzzy blue teddy bear. I am afraid of REAL water falls, like Niagara and Shoshone which, if we were to continue the bear metaphor, would be like facing down a rabid grizzly the size of a small skyscraper. My companion in the photo below may look like she has her arm around me in a gesture of love, but really she was just trying to keep me from bolting away in abject terror before the photo was taken.
Once we parked and I overcame my fear of accidentally driving my car off the driveway of death, I was free to focus on my fear of waterfalls...
...and my fear of heights, which conveniently resurfaced as we walked down the see-through stairs to the overlook. While other people, like the young children below, enjoyed the unobstructed view of the falls from the railing, I was content to stand back...way back...and take in the awesome force of nature from a distance.
Eventually I managed to pry one hand loose from the railing (the railing on the back part of the overlook that was about ten feet away from the railing near the falls) and snap some photos.
I was not brave enough, however, to get close enough to the real railing for a photo of me and the falls together. Instead, I chose to stay as close as possible to the nice, stable, non-fatal mountain that the overlook was built on.
Sure, the view from the other direction is a much more beautiful and special...but this nice safe view from the coward side of the overlook will always hold a special place in my heart. In fact, I may name my first child after it. Sagebrush Sure-Foundation Diesel has a nice ring to it, don't you think? Vin and I would call him/her "Sage" for short.

I'm also scared of needles, and pins, and swords, and pretty much anything else sharp. The picture below? It is currently frightening me more than the state of our nation's economy, JFAC's proposed public school budget for the 2009-2010 school year, and swimsuit season combined. Really. I almost had to put a post-it over the picture below so I could type this paragraph. Sad, but true.

I am also scared of parents... not my parents, but the parents of my kidlets at school. Big people in general freak me out, which is one reason I am so content to spend my days surrounded by junior high kids. But I have heard enough stories of angry parents yelling at teachers to make parent-teacher-conferences an ulcer-inducing experience.

And then. of course, there is my newest fear: Somali pirates. Call me paranoid, but count myself lucky every time I make it all eight blocks to school without being hijacked, and I was glad to be traveling to Shoshone Falls today with friends just in case those sneaky Somalis tried anything on the freeway between my town and Twin.
I had plenty of time during the drive home to reflect on my fears...waterfalls, heights, twisty cliff-rimmed, blind corners of death... and realized that I have more of them than I would like.
I am scared of spiders... especially my arch-Nemesis Frakenknspider who takes up residence in my bathroom when he isn't too busy eating neighborhood dogs and kidnapping small children.

I'm also scared of needles, and pins, and swords, and pretty much anything else sharp. The picture below? It is currently frightening me more than the state of our nation's economy, JFAC's proposed public school budget for the 2009-2010 school year, and swimsuit season combined. Really. I almost had to put a post-it over the picture below so I could type this paragraph. Sad, but true.

I am also scared of parents... not my parents, but the parents of my kidlets at school. Big people in general freak me out, which is one reason I am so content to spend my days surrounded by junior high kids. But I have heard enough stories of angry parents yelling at teachers to make parent-teacher-conferences an ulcer-inducing experience.

And then. of course, there is my newest fear: Somali pirates. Call me paranoid, but count myself lucky every time I make it all eight blocks to school without being hijacked, and I was glad to be traveling to Shoshone Falls today with friends just in case those sneaky Somalis tried anything on the freeway between my town and Twin.
When I started this post, I thought blogging about my fears might be good therapy. I thought that getting all of my phobias out in the open and examining them in the light of day would help me to overcome them.
But now I'm thinking that I will be lucky to make it through the night without dreaming about being crushed to death in a waterfall after falling from great heights while driving my car on twisty-roads in bad weather attempting to escape from hypodermic-wielding Somali pirates who wanted to yell at me about failing their kids. Their eight-legged-spider-kids.
So much for facing my fears. Repression is the way to go every time.
7 comments:
You left out fear of backing up in a car, fear of going down stairs, fear of poopie diapers, fear snow, fear of well you get the idea....
hehehehehe
I haven't been down to the falls yet this spring, but now I see I need to ASAP!
and just for the record...I am always up with "Sage" taking my pictures too.
IF you want a real experience go check out Caldrin Lyn...BUT TAKE A WHEEL DRIVE to get there...Really...
Dude, my cat won't leave me alone! Go away, Xena! My thumb is NOT a chew toy!! Sheesh. Anyways... I didn't realize that you're so scared of so many things. My guess is that I can add rollercoasters to that list of yours. I'm scared of heights, and rollercoasters seriously almost make me catatonic with fear.
i hope you didn't take the picture of that road while you were driving, and i'm glad you didn't lose your new camera over the falls. :)
i'm w/ you on the needles, and i don't want my kids anywhere near your fears, either.
So... I guess this would be a bad time to mention the interesting little factoid that Shoshone Falls is not as WIDE as Niagra but it is actually TALLER :).
They sure looked beautiful. The last time we took someone to see them, they had shut off the water for the farms and there was one little trickle. We called in Shoshone Fall. :) Okay, you probably wouldn't think that was funny either. Sorry. Didn't mean to stir up your phobias any more than usual!
They're so beautiful! I may have to meander that way to see them! I used to be fine with heights, but a couple of summers ago we went parasailing, and I was gripping onto the strap thingies REALLY tightly.
If you don't like winding roads, don't go to Glacier National Park and drive on the Road to the Sun (I think that's what it's called), because it's super narrow and on a cliff! So scary!
We really had fun didn't we? We should do it again really soon.
Post a Comment