I have inherited many wonderful things from my mother, including all of my teaching abilities. That said, let me just complain for one brief moment about the single annoying genetic defect she passed down to me: Like my mother and grandfather before me, I started getting white hairs at a very early age. White. Not grey, but bright, shiny, white hairs. The first three appeared just before Thanksgiving break my first year at Ricks and since then they have multiplied faster than Ricks College newly weds. I was going to just ignore them and boldly accept what nature had given me, and I did for the rest of college and a mission...then a 7th grader pointed them out during my first year teaching and the battle with nature began.

Not really.
Instead I took pictures.
A lot of pictures.
When I woke up from my hair-dye-induced-high Sunday night, I realized that the fall sports would be ending this week and we hardly had any photos for our yearbook spreads.
***Note to 7th and 8th grade readers: I did not really get high off of hair dye. That was an example of humorous hyperbole (look it up in your literature terms notes...page three, I think). You cannot use hair dye to get high, so stop thinking about it. Now. All sniffing hair dye will do is make you want to do your pre-algebra homework. In some rare cases, side effects have also included asking for extra algebra homework. It may also impair your Guitar Hero skills, and you don't want to risk that, right? Good. Now stop reading this blog, get off the Internet, and go do your Algebra homework.***
I think I set a new record yesterday by being the yearbook photographer at a boys soccer game, a girls soccer game, the 8th grade volleyball game, the 7th grade volleyball game, and the 8th grade football practice. Even when you take into account that all of those things happened within two blocks of each other (a blessing of small town living) that is a lot to do.
Then today I went to the last home football game to snap more photos. This was my first time taking publication quality photos at a football game and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be...mostly because the players always had their hands down their pants adjusting their pads (I hope) and I didn't think that was an image any of them wanted to be remembered by.
Today, the principal was eating lunch just out side my door (my classroom is right by the stage which is in the auditorium/little theater/cafeteria/little gym...it's a small school...) as my 3A class came in. Several of them were singing "Unpack Your Adjectives" as they walked past, which intrigued him. When he heard grammar-related shouting and cheering a short time later, he decided to step in and check on things. In his most stern voice, with his most serious face he said, "There seems to be a little too much learning going on in here!" I told him that it was hard to keep the enthusiasm level down when you were studying something as exciting as conjunctions. He said, "Only in your classroom, right kids?" which of course made me beam with pride. The kidlets then insisted upon singing both the conjunction and adjective songs for him, which led to more prideful beaming on my part.I really love my job.
4 comments:
You are truly what more teachers need to be like.
As I travel around to different schools in the 2 districts getting info for the School Zone, I am amazed at how little teaching is done, very little laughing, but lots of yelling, don't touch the walls, fold your arms, put your heads down...blah blah blah...
I wish so much that Derek had had a teacher like you.
Though for the few years that I homeschooled him, he watched the School House Rock videos several times. He too would complain about them, but I bet he can still sing,"Conjunction junction what's your function...."
You ROCK!!!
love the conjunction joke. maybe in a few years you can share that w/ bentley.
i'm glad you cleared up the "high" from dying your hair issues. btw, your hair looks great.
sounds like you've been busy - as usual. hopefully we'll catch up here in a day or two. :)
You are so creative! I wish I had more teachers like you growing up! Team But(t)... hahaha!! I had no idea you went gray/white so early! But I love both the lighter brown and darker brown on you. You're so gorgeous, though, that you could do, like, green and look awesome.
Mindy, you are the Bomb dot Com. Seriously. I love School House Rock! I used to force my kids to watch that, too. And I love the FANBOYS thing. Never have I heard of that before! What a good teacher you are! And the conjunction joke is fabulous!! I didn't know you went prematurely white! That happened to my great- grandma. Totally white at age 30.
Post a Comment