Yesterday marked the end of the most exhausting week of an unusually exhausting year. Even the DQ employees noted that my mid-honors-field-trip-whimpering was more pathetic this year than in the past. And they would know, because a few of them have made the yearly trek with me as students.
But now the year is over and, after a few days of meetings and one quick trip to collect ideas from a tech-savy district in Oregon, summer vacation will begin.
When I left the school yesterday, the whole "summer break" think hadn't sunk in. This morning, I decided to write a poem about the last week in an attempt to get some sort of feeling of closure.
Why write a poem, you may ask? Well, I am a teacher of literature and writing... and therefore I cannot afford the actual therapy of which I am in desperate need.
The Last Week of School: A Poem by Miss H
The sun shone down,
The flowers bloomed.
The kids were thrilled,
But we were doomed
“Oh no!”we cried
“It’s far too soon,
The warm weather
Should wait till June!”
And why, you ask,
Did we lament
The nice weather
That we were sent?
Some disbelieve
Others may scoff
But sunshine makes
Young brains turn off!
Smart kids forget
All they have learned
All they want
Is class adjourned
Some squirm and shout
Some kiss and hug
Some limply sit
Like lifeless slugs
I prayed for rain
Pleaded for cold
So fewer kids
I’d have to scold
Some wind came
Temperatures dropped
But that squirreliness
It didn’t stop
The only cure
For year-end-pains
Is dampened sprits
From May rains
But while bad choices
Did abound
Not one raincloud
Could scarce be found
Could scarce be found
When finals were done
Grades all turned in
And students gone
Did the rain begin.
“Traitorous Storm!”
I shouted to
I shouted to
“Where were you when
We needed you?”
The pouring rain
Seemed to reply
“It’s for the best
That late, came I”
“Had the kids not
Turned into loons,
You would have missed
Them all by June”
“Think of all
The heartache saved
Because the kids
Have misbehaved”
So “think”, I did
And it was true
I won’t miss them
Till summer’s through
It was nature’s way
to prepare my heart
to say goodbye
to the little farts.
When fall begins
And school resumes
My love for them
Again will bloom
But for right now
As the rain drops fall
I’m thankful not
To miss them at all

3 comments:
"The little farts..." Hahahahaha! My kids have one week left; this year has been tough with my oldest and his teacher. I think both of them (and me) will be so glad when school is out. :)
I love your poem. Enjoy your break teacher.
love the poem! have fun in oregon and don't forget to come back!
Post a Comment