Sunday, June 3, 2012

Boise Engagements Bring Burley Showers

Thanks to a happy convergence of callings, circumstances, and events, I have been handed the opportunity to (legally) attend my dearest, most darlingest, singles branch for three Sundays in a row. Today was my second Sunday back and, as I listened to the many, many announcements (one for every night of the week!) I felt a wide range of emotions.

There was a little sadness because they were no longer MY activities.

There was some confusion because I couldn't figure out how those many, many activities use to fit into my schedule.

And then there was the numbness in my backside brought on by the hard, plastic chairs to which my bottom has become unaccustomed. Ouch.

I was also feeling pretty thankful for the little branch reunion we had the day before at Krystal's bridal shower. Sure, the shower itself was wonderful, as was spending time with Princess Smoothride-McSpeedster herself. Life around this cute little cowtown hasn't been the same since Krystal headed up to the big city.

Celebrating her upcoming nuptials gave us former branchers a chance to reconnect with each other and with some of the current branchers (we love you, Bonnie and the Lucas women! Even if we didn't get any photos of you!) .

Friends, food, laughter, lingerie: it was just like old times! Minus the lingerie,that is. The lingerie was new. At least, I am assuming it was new. I mean, I didn't go to every activity, but... you know.

Instead of playing the usual shower games (Thank you, shower-planners for not making us play shower games!) we gave Krystal advice, watched her open gifts, and listened to her answer questions about her soon-to-be-hubby. In that process, Krystal learned a few things about Reed, and we all learned a few things about Emily and Lisa and their familiarity with the products Victoria keeps secret at the back of the store.

But knowledge about Reed's dream car and Lisa and Emily's familiarity with products that made her blush for a full thirteen minutes, wasn't the only thing Krystal received. She also got a whole host of things that will make her future home smell and look beautiful, and enough cooking supplies to ensure that she will have no choice but to follow President Sager's counsel to cook her hubby breakfast every morning.

She also got some of those other kinds of shower gifts.
I was feeling pretty good about the cheerleader ensemble I put together for my good friend Krystal, but started second guessing myself when I saw all of the kitchen-related gifts she received. I thought that my first idea for a shower gift would have fit better with the theme of the day...
Oh well. I guess it could make a pretty nice wedding gift too.

The afternoon provided Krystal with many useful gifts, and a few fun gifts too.
Those of us who attended came away with wide smiles and satisfied sweet teeth.

But that wasn't all.
After getting to rub shoulders with some of our favorite branch folks, Timbri and I also came away with a plan for a branch reunion, complete with friends, food, fun... but probably not lingerie. We'll wait for the next shower to break that stuff out again.
But when we do, watch out. My sister sent me some cute ideas for lingerie-themed cupcakes and sugar cookies that I'm sure Lisa and Emily will approve of.

2 comments:

Kar said...

She looks so happy. Congratulations to her! Bridal showers are always so fun. I gave my sis, Nat, some very tasteful lingerie at her shower, and she actually got MAD at me. Haha! Good times. Good times.

Jenny said...

Love the cheer outfit. Looks like you all had a great time!