I am a teacher. Really. I went to teacher-school and everything.And I learned some valuable things in teacher school...like how to give a withering "teacher-look" (I'm pretty darn good at that), how to grade papers during faculty meetings (I'm getting better at that) , and how to write on the chalkboard in a straight line (to use the 7th grade vernacular...I suck at that).
But when I left teacher-school and set out to run a classroom of my own, I quickly discovered that there is a lot more to a teacher's job than just teaching.

For example, they never told me in teacher school that I would have to spend a considerable amount of time each day functioning as a psychoanalyst...
...or a triage nurse...
...or as a policeman/investigator/bodygaurd...
...or as a one-woman substitute for a home entertainment system.
It seems like my "That's not in my job description" list grows by inches every year. This year, most of my new responsibilities are related to my position as "yearbook advisor". I am an editor, a publisher, a sales manager, an advertising rep, a photographer, and now...a graphic artist/fashion designer.
One of our first orders of business as a yearbook staff was to choose staff shirts. The shirts serve the duel purpose of advertising the book and giving the staffers a sense of camaraderie. I wasn't too worried about the whole shirt thing because I had seen the shirts the last two years and they were pretty basic...The school's name and the book's theme with a paw print for decoration. But this year's staff is made up of honor's kids, which is to say this year's staff is made up of very energetic high-achievers. They didn't want the theme and some lousy paw print. They wanted something...something...something....else.
So we had a brain storming session, during which I did a little tracing to try to jump-start the kidlet's creative juices. But instead of inspiring them to create their own designs, they very quickly decided they liked my little sketch, gave me a list of modifications, and then went home to do their algebra homework.
Now, I'm not saying I'm ready to apply to Project Runway and take on New York Fashion Week, but you have to admit that the final product isn't bad. Especially when you take into account the fact that the only art/design experience I have every had is limited to making visual aids for my Sunday school lessons...and really, who is going to criticize those? I mean, it's SUNDAY SCHOOL. The people who manage to both A) show up and B) stay awake are already so celestialized that they wouldn't dream of doing something so uncharitable as to criticize a construction paper visual aid.
6 comments:
humble . . . nice. :)
the shirts look great. well done super advisor!
I love reading your blog Mindy!
I hope you are having fun as year book advisor.
We got shirts for yearbook staff in junior high, but we couldn't wear them until the day we gave out the books...which was the last day of school. What's the point then? We just always tried to keep the cover a big secret.
I love them!
I hope you DO the cat walk!
I've always admired your creativity so it doesn't suprise me that you're artistic as well. Although, I imagine it help that you had a professional work on the finished product. :)
I love t-shirts like that! And I think it's a good idea to get kids excited about the yearbook by wearing your shirts throughout the year. BTW, one of my beehives is making us do a modesty fashion show for her YW in Excellence project, and the leaders have to do it, because we only have six young women, and I plan on doing the booty-jiggle when I get to the apex of the catwalk. Just for kicks and giggles. And because I have the soul of a black woman. :)
Post a Comment