Saturday, July 19, 2008

Flamingos is good eatin', ain't they?

Somebody gave me the bird!
Twice!

I woke up Wednesday morning and went to go pack up my car for my impromptu trip back to my parental homeland and found THIS on my front steps. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to having things left on my steps. Shortly after I moved here, a kindly plant-fairy used my steps as a drop off point for several leafy things that I some how managed to not kill....at least not immediately. So plants I am used to but, although my cute little cow-town is full of wildlife, flamingos aren't exactly indigenous to Southern Idaho so you can understand my confusion.
Turns out, this wasn't your average, everyday, run of the mill paper flamingo. This was Flo the traveling flamingo. She apparently had used the worlds worst travel agent, ended up on my front steps, and was now relying on me to get her to her next destination. Unfortunately for Flo, I had already made travel plans for myself, so she got to hang out in my kitchen while I visited the big city and pondered whose lawn she should visit next.
Imagine my surprise when I pulled up in front of my home Friday evening to find yet another flamingo waiting for me. I believe my exact thought was, "What the flock is going on here?" (I'm pretty sure it was thoughts like that, which I vocalized in the middle of Relief Society, in several Sacrament Meetings, and one truly memorable Stake Conference that got me released from my RS President position).

Apparently, I am running some sort of flamingo hostel, which I'm pretty sure violates about three clauses on my lease. Therefore, to help me achieve my goal of not being homeless before I'm 30, the flamingos will be relocated to the yards of which ever of my friends and branch members a) live in town so I can find my way to their houses and back b)don't have vicious guard dogs (or guard heifers as the case may be) and c) are good candidates for passing Flo and Flo Jr. along so that the traveling flamingo legacy can live on. In other, non-paper-poultry-related news... My branch had the opportunity to usher at the Twin Falls Temple open house this morning...very, very early this morning. I had the good fortune to direct tour-traffic in the hallway between the bride's room and the celestial room, so I got to see a lot of amazed faces. Speaking of amazed faces, here I am with Jessica, one of the girls who risked her life to ride to the temple as a passenger in my car. (This is us at a restaurant after the open house, NOT at in the temple...in case you were, you know, concerned about the decor in the back ground). This is Jessica's backside. I wanted to take a picture of her at a branch activity a while back and this was the only part of her that she agreed to have photographed. Should you happen to see Jess at the branch tomorrow, be sure to compliment her on the photo.
Oh, and don't think I'm mean to post it. She actually wanted me to print it out and hang it up at the branch building(Which inspired me to invent a fun game for a branch activity wherein you have to identify branch members by photos of their backsides. It is fun branch activity ideas like this [and my branch "shotgun wedding cake social" idea) that will eventually get me released from my calling on the branch activities committee). Here are Alison and Kendra, the other brave souls who rode with us.
Spending the morning at the temple was a wonderful way to start out my weekend. It put me in such a good mood that I didn't even consider useing my already dirty car to run down the handful of anti-Mormon protesters who had set up shop on on the corner. Well....I didn't seriously consider it. And if I had seriously considered it, it would have been for the charitable purpose of being able to do their work for the dead (if they weren't already dead, the irony of that situation would have killed them, eh?) ...Too bad I didn't have those flamingos with me. I sure would have loved to give those guys the bird.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Mindy- I love your blog! I am glad that you were able to spend time at the Temple.

Jenny said...

good luck finding new homes for your birds.

i wonder what chloe thinks about them . . . oh wait, i forgot the whole depth perception thing.

glad the temple was nice and that you didn't run anyone down.

Heehaws said...

Do they poop?

Nat said...

It's so awesome that you got to spend time at the temple! And a bird tag is hilarious!