Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Idaho International Dance and Music Festival, Day 1

Becuase I am missing the part of my brain that controls rational thought and the ability to say "no", I am serving as a "team guide" for a group of Siberian Musicians. It is pretty much an 18 hour per day job that started when they rolled into town from SLC around Midnight Monday/Tuesday. I am incharge of making sure the host families get them were they need to be on time, coordinating between the team and the festival people, making sure the team has every thing they need and that they are very, very happy.
Yesterday's schedule included a luncheon and performance for the Rotery Club, a few trips to "market" (walmart), one long trip to Radio Shack, a meeting with the head of the festival, a BBQ, and various other activities. I didn't have the time to break out my camera until the BBQ, so here are a few photos...
Victoria and Tuyana jumping... ...Vladimir, the publicity guy. All he does is take pictures...
Lena helping with a pre-dinner cleansing ceremony...
...Nadejda and Tatijna continuing the cleasning ceremony...
...Elena, the only English speaker translating...
...that is Khonger in the background. He is the only guy performer in the group...
...Lena, Elena, and Professor Victor (his new favorite English phrases are ... "Miiin-deeee come" and "Minn-deeee super driver!")...
...We learned how to do a before dinner dance and an after dinner dance...
More dancing...
When the after dinner dance had finished, Marquetta and I took Victor, Elena, Khonger, and Victoria to see the location for tomorrow's parade and performance. Then I went back to the school with Victor, Khonger, and Victoria for an 1 1/2 hour practice before making an emergency run to "market" for super glue to fix a broken instrument.
Wednesday starts nice and early with a 7:30 a.m. meeting, so I had better get dressed so I can pick up Professor Victor and Elena.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

love the dancing pics, but we need video!