After one more ride down the mountain (Thanks Krystal! Your new nick-name is Princess Smooth-Ride McSpeedster) we loaded up and headed home. Everyone agreed that it had been a very successful trip, especially considering that our last few Melcher visits had included getting a car high centered on a boulder, riding one 4-wheeler into a tree, one into a barbed wire fence, and flipping another. Oh, and then there was the great cow-poop splatter ride of '07....ahhh...good times. I wonder why the branch presidency doesn't take us 4-wheeling more often?Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Miss H and the 4-Wheeling FHE
First things first: Yes Elizabeth. Your dog is still alive. I hope you can say the same of all the 14-year-old dancers you are escorting around Poland.
For FHE Monday night we went up to the the huge stone house at Melcher Mine. This is the view from the front porch.
The house was built a long, long time ago when the silver mines over yonder were still in operation. The house sat up on the hill for about a hundred years or so, slowly falling apart, until my branch president's dad bought it and restored it.
They tried to make everything look as authentic as possible, and now it is a popular place for family reunions, prom dates, and YSA family home evenings.
Brother Barker, our branch pool shark, is constantly luring new victims into the basement to teach them the true meaning of humility.
Another basement room has a ping-pong table. Here is Danielle the County Rodeo Queen warming up the table for me.
The purpose of the trip was 4-wheeling, and I actually spent a lot more time on the ATV's than I had planned. You either have to use a 4-wheeler or a truck with 4-wheel drive to make it the few miles from the road up to the house. I rode up with Marilyn and arrived at the house so full of dust that I thought I deserved to take a little break down in my favorite chair.
See that nice patch of white there at the top of the hill? That is snow. In July. And it wasn't the only patch around. A few of us decided to try to hike up to have a July 7th snowball fight.
It was a long, steep walk but it was a nice cool night for it. It was nice to get away from the crowd for a while because the crowd had collectively decided to force me into driving a 4-wheeler. President Jones offered to give me an ATV refresher course, but I told him that if I was going to die young, I wanted it to be a natural death...like being shot in my classroom by a rampaging student.
Sister Jones did talk me into riding up to Twitchell's cabin as the sun was going down. It was a beautiful ride and my friends were all glad to see me return in one piece about 30 minutes later.
After one more ride down the mountain (Thanks Krystal! Your new nick-name is Princess Smooth-Ride McSpeedster) we loaded up and headed home. Everyone agreed that it had been a very successful trip, especially considering that our last few Melcher visits had included getting a car high centered on a boulder, riding one 4-wheeler into a tree, one into a barbed wire fence, and flipping another. Oh, and then there was the great cow-poop splatter ride of '07....ahhh...good times. I wonder why the branch presidency doesn't take us 4-wheeling more often?
After one more ride down the mountain (Thanks Krystal! Your new nick-name is Princess Smooth-Ride McSpeedster) we loaded up and headed home. Everyone agreed that it had been a very successful trip, especially considering that our last few Melcher visits had included getting a car high centered on a boulder, riding one 4-wheeler into a tree, one into a barbed wire fence, and flipping another. Oh, and then there was the great cow-poop splatter ride of '07....ahhh...good times. I wonder why the branch presidency doesn't take us 4-wheeling more often?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love the new nick name.....as for the rock, we didn't get home till almost one in the morning....that rock has lived up to its skills and found yet another car...so need less to say we spend over an hour getting a truck off the rock....good times for sure!!!! I was so tired :)
Ok. Next family home evening activity...Blasting that blasted rock out of the field. It's a good thing our Elder's Quorum spends their entire budget each year on shotgun shells and TNT.
Mindy, you crack me up! Your singles ward (branch?) is way cooler than any I ever attended.
ok - it took me a while to figure out WHY you were holding a newspaper over chloe's head, but i've got it now. :)
glad you survived that dangerous four wheeling trip. have you all signed waivers? :)
Post a Comment