Friday, June 20, 2008

My New Calling: Branch Bar Tender

It seems we all survived tonight's branch activity. We had a biking progressive dinner with the drinks course at my apartment. I put my bar tending skills to good use, making triple berry daiquiris, fuzzy navels, and mojitos. Our branch activities usually don't get a very good turn out, so we planned food for 40 but really only expected around 20 or so. I was just starting to ponder which of my neighbors I could pawn leftovers off on when I walked outside and saw a HUGE group of people on bikes, long boards, and scooters heading towards my house.
I had planned for people to come into my little apartment to get their drinks, then go back outside to drink them. It would have worked well with 20 people, but with closer to 40, the majority of the space outside was dedicated to bike parking and some people ended up drinking and visiting inside. I'm glad I dusted!
It was a really, really hot day so the cold drinks were a big hit. I think we downed about 10 blenders worth of sinful looking concoctions.
My branch president (notice the umbrella behind his ear?) asked "These are nonalcoholic, right?" a few times as he sampled all three drinks. He seemed satisfied when I told him that my liqueur license prohibits me from serving the hard stuff till after 8 p.m.
We rode around town for a grand total of 5 courses and had a great time. Here we all are in front of my apartment, which is none the worse for wear after its maximum occupancy adventure. So now that my dishes are done (thanks Liz!) and most of the stray umbrella's have blown off my grass and into the neighbor's yard (sorry Bishop F. !) its time for me to hit the sack. I have to be up bright and early tomorrow morning for yet another branch activity.


2 comments:

Jenny said...

i'm glad you had such a great turnout! wish i could have been there to sample the drinks. maybe you shouldn't advertise your liquer license. there's still time for the branch president to rethink your recommend before the dedication. :)

Becky said...

It sounded like you had a great time!