Thursday, June 19, 2008

Like Riding a Bike

The wonderful little YSA branch I attend likes to take advantage of our proximity to the Snake River. In the past, the majority of our summer FHEs, activity nights, institute activities, and 7-stake activities have involved boats of some kind. I didn't have a problem with that until the branch activity where I went through water, a lot like the water pictured below, not in the boat, or even just outside the boat. No, I went through water like this UNDER THE BOAT. Oh, and in case you were wondering, no, it was NOT FUN. So when I ended up on this year's activity committee and it came time to plan our summer events, I was very motivated to come up with activity suggestions that did not involve boats and/or near-death-experiences. One of my non-boating ideas was a bike progressive dinner, which the rest of the branch got excited about once I explained to them that we would be limiting our ride to the homes of branch members that live inside city limits. For some strange reason they didn't want to ride the miles and miles between the farm houses the majority of the branch folks live in. Can't imagine why. Anyway, since the biking dinner was my bright idea, I figured I had better get my bike ready to ride. My wonderful bike had been living in Elizabeth's garage during the winter months and its tires had gone quite flat, so I bought this handy-dandy pump to give them a lift. Because I am in no way mechanically inclined, it took me a while to get my bike ready to ride home, but eventually...
...I declared her road-worthy. The back tire is still a little low, so I think it might have a slow leak. I was going to try to fix it myself this afternoon, but then I remembered that I had 24 hours till the dinner and some mechanically inclined guy-friends who will do just about anything for a pan of brownies.
I rode the bike home (discovering a few neglected muscle groups along the way...ouch!) and then gave it a nice bath so it would be pretty and shiny for tomorrow's ride. My apartment is the first stop on our progressive dinner tour (before dinner drinks like daiquiris, mojitos, etc.)
Now that my bike is in good shape, I can focus on making the drinks. That might be a little tricky considering I only have one blender. Now if only the plump tires on my beautiful, clean bike could be used to blend drink for 40 people....hummmm....Where is MacGyver when you need him?


1 comment:

Jenny said...

your bike looks great. nice job!

if you can find a way to use the pump to make drinks it would be an awesome blog post . . .

:)