About two weeks ago, the DJ who had been booked for the junior high's Spring dance called to say she wouldn't be able to come. The Spring dance is the much-anticipated last dance of the year, and it had already been postponed once, so the student council advisers decided to take drastic action.
The decided to ask me to be the DJ.
And I said yes.
When I said yes, I have to admit that I was picturing myself kind of like this...
...or maybe a little more like this...
But the more I thought about it, I realized that the kidlets would probably see me more like this...
And then I started to panic a little.
I mean, I think I am pretty cool.
And the kids seem to think I am pretty cool ... for a teacher.
But being a pretty cool teacher is not in the same zip code as being a pretty cool DJ.
Then I realized that I have spent the last ten years scoring coolness points with the kidlets, but one afternoon as a lame DJ at the last dance of the year could totally bankrupt me in the coolness department. It would take years to recover my reputation.
So then I started to panic a little more.
That second wave of panic led to this box being taped to the wall in the lunchroom for a week.
I thought that if the kidlets requested songs for the dance and I played the songs they requested, I could bask in their reflected coolness...
... and if they decided the music was lame, I could totally blame it on them.
Then, in an attempt to give them something to focus on besides the music, I put together a video using photos and video clips the yearbook kids gathered over the year.
And then I worried some more.
But I am pleased to announce that the dance was yesterday and I seem to have survived with my reputation intact. I am still pretty cool... for a teacher.
The student council and art classes put together some awesome decorations.
And plenty of kidlets showed up.
Some of them even danced!
I ended up having a pretty good time choosing tunes, taking requests, and using the microphone to encourage the kids to show off their sweet moves.
I also managed to get almost all of my 2B creative writing classes final poetry projects graded.
I'd like to see a professional DJ manage that in a dark room with super loud music while counseling lovelorn 8th graders.








2 comments:
The boys were disappointed that I didn't let them come to help you, but it sounds like you did really well without them! Good job! :)
Good idea on asking for requests. I would have played a bunch of Prince songs, and they would have been sooo mad at me...
Post a Comment