Sunday, May 19, 2013

They All Figure It Out Eventually Anyway...

So a week or two ago, we hustled all of our fuzzy little bobcats out of the school a few hours early so that a couple hundred bobkittens could get a sneak peak at junior high life.

Every year my kidlets and I put together a funny little orientation video and, during the course of the afternoon, I show it to all of the sixth graders, their teachers, and a few of their parents.

The morning of the orientation, the following conversation took place in my classroom:

Kidlet: Umm, Miss Haws?

Me: Yes sir?

Kidlet: Are you going to, um, change clothes before the sixth graders get here?

Me: No. Why?

Kidlet: Because you're wearing an Ironman shirt.

Me: So?

Kidlet: Well, the sixth graders are gonna think you're weird.

Me: I am weird. Don't you think it's better just to get it out in the open right from the start?

Last Thursday, around thirty bobkittens, teachers, and parents who missed the original orientation came by to take an abbreviated school tour. I knew they would be stopping by my classroom to see the video, so I decided to take that sweet kidlet's concerns into consideration.
 

Even though I DO have a SECOND Ironman shirt that I could have worn, I decided I should probably wear something a little more dignified.


So I pulled out my vast stash of teacher t-shirts and tried to find one that would send the right message to the kids I will soon be educating, and their parents... with whom I will soon be conferencing.

I put a lot of thought into my wardrobe selection for the day.
 
A whole lot of thought.

 
And finally decided on the t-shirt featured in the photo below.

 But at least my concerned kidlet can take comfort knowing that, at no point during either orientation, did I wear my awesome fez.
 
I'm saving that for the first day of school in September.
Because I am weird.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Love the t-shirt collection. I think you are right to get the weird factor out in the open right off the bat.

Kar said...

Oh my gosh, how I love all of those t-shirts. I'm such a t-shirt junkie. I'm breaking a commandment, for I am coveting your t-shirts.

SAYDA said...

I love your t-shirts! Did you have them made or do you find them? You are so dang cute!