One of the major selling points (or renting points, as the case may be) of the new place was its proximity to my place of employment. I can walk from my awesome new apartment's aperture to the outside opening of my classroom in mere minutes, providing I don't participate in any impromptu parent/teacher conferences along the way.
I quickly discovered that one of the perks of my personal promenade is the potential for pondering that takes place as I plod along down the path to school (My apologies for the over-abundance of repetition of consonant sounds at the beginning of words. I reviewed alliteration with the 7th graders this week and still have not recovered).
As the seasons changed, so has my train of thought as I traipse to and from teaching.
At the start of the year, I walked to and from school almost every day, except when after-school meetings at the library or the district office didn't leave the requisite trekking time in my scholarly schedule.I would leave a little earlier in the mornings (in an attempt to be off the streets before they were flooded with ambulatory kidlets), and use those minutes of calm and quiet to arrange my thoughts for the day.
And of course...

Despite the large number of vicious dogs lunging at my throat, my walks to and from school in the fall were a great chance to reflect, de-stress, and breath deeply (or not, depending on which direction the wind was blowing).
But over the last few months, I have gotten out of the habit of starting and ending the school day with a 2 1/2 block constitutional. Much to my (and my exercise-needy backside's) dismay,the combination of the colder weather and a lazier me have resulted in fewer school day strolls.
But when (what was supposed to be) a big snowstorm was set to roll in this week, neither the low temperatures nor my high level of slothfulness could overpower my unwillingness to drive in the snow.
So, on Wednesday morning, I bundled up, left my car in the carport, and set out for school on foot. As I stepped out into the flurry-filled morning, I instantly noticed a change in my mental meandering.
- It's kind of chilly.
- Like, really chilly.
- I hope I don't slip and fall.
- If I do slip and fall, I hope it isn't in front of one of my kidlets homes.
- If I do slip and fall in front of one of my kidlets' homes and their families laugh and point at me through their kitchen window, can I count that as a parent contact?
- What if I slip and fall and hit my head and the parent asks me if I need them to call 911?
- If the paramedic or ambulance driver who comes to take me to the hospital is the mother or father of one of my students, can I count THAT as a parent contact, even if I am only semi-conscious?
It is so interesting how, when the air is colder, the cow aroma takes on a whole new array of subtle nuances.
Anyway, to make a long blog post only slightly less long, the content and quality of my walking-to-school thought processes change significantly with changes in the weather.
Sad, but true.
Which means that, even when the sidewalks are icy and the blood-thirsty dogs are out in force, it is still much safer for everyone if I walk to school.
And alliteration should never be taught for 72 minutes at a time.
3 comments:
we got snow last night! but it was too dry for a snowman. there was great sorrow at our house this afternoon.
beautiful pictures of the sunrise.
But at least you have an alternative.
Ya know, I used to commute 45 minutes to and from work when I taught school, and I had many, many, many of the same thoughts as you. And good for you for attempting to contact parents. I just mainly hid from them.
Post a Comment