But anyway...
When I found out that the school board would be visiting our school, I told the principal that he was welcome to bring them to my room to watch our dissection races.
Normally I would not be excited about having grown-up-type-people in my classroom (Have I mentioned on this blog how badly parents and parent-type people scare me?Because they do. A lot). This time, however, the big 'fraidy-cat chunk of my brain was overpowered by the much smaller proud-in-a-bad-way part of my brain. I wanted to show off the kidlets and their sentence slicing skills. I wanted the school board to be amazed at the level of student engagement in my classroom. I wanted them to think that I was cool.
Which should have been my first clue that it was a bad idea.
We have been dissecting in class for over a week, but I didn't notice some things until we had the board members, the principal, and the superintendent all pressed into the only free corner in my classroom.
It was at that point that I noticed...
1) The amount of noise that 30 7th graders can make when they are "engaged" in a learning activity.
2) The opportunity this particular learning activity provided for the children to run with scissors.
3) I look like a dork in a lab coat.

Things seemed to turn out ok though, as evidenced by the fact that I still had a job when I got to school this morning. And on a positive note, looking like a dork in front of the school board, my principal, and the superintendent may have silenced that obnoxious prideful part of my brain... for a little while, at least.
6 comments:
This disproves Mark Twain's statement "In the first place, God made idiots. This was for practice. Then he made school boards." I happy they visited and happy you made their visit exciting in a good way.
I am sure the school board was very impressed. I bet they would prefer enthusiastic engaged junior high students to quiet bored junior high students, even if that does involve running with scissors.
glad no one got hurt. that always seems like a fun project.
That is such, such, such a cool idea. And it's true. Engaged students are not necessarily quiet students. I'm sure the school board was duly impressed. I'm sure they did think you were cool.
Looks like a lot of fun to me!
They probably left your room asking themselves... "Why can't all the rest of the teachers in the world be just like Miss Haws?" You are awesome! I saw cute little Ellie Garrard.
Post a Comment