Tuesday, April 26, 2011

School (Teachers) of Rock

Remember back, like, a month or two ago when I mentioned that the kidlets were having air band competitions at lunch? If not, please pretend that you remember. Normally I wouldn't mind reminding you, but I am just not in a flash-backy, re-cap-ish mood tonight. It might be all the wind, it could be all the rain, or maybe it has more to do with 5 a.m. exercising in the wind and the rain, but I'm just not feeling the flashback vibe.


Anyway, not long after that post, it was suggested that the faculty put a few groups together and have our own battle of the bands during 7th and 8th grade lunches. Blame it on the dry erase marker fumes, but a few of us thought having a teacher air band contest would be pretty darn fun. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the teachers must have been using chalk and/or pencils that day because "fun" was not a word that popped into their fume-free brains.

Without a sufficient number of (insert adjective of your choice here...I'm going with *brave*) teachers, we only managed to form one band, so a competition was out of the question. That is how the six of us (a heath teacher, two English teachers, a reading teacher, a science teacher, and a shop teacher) ended up lip syncing to the School of Rock song from the School of Rock movie at the school-wide Renaissance assembly on Friday.

We were all pretty nervous, but it turned out to be pretty fun in a sort of embarrassing kind of way. The kids were impressed... there was a lot of cheering and clapping and I actually signed a few autographs later that day. At least I think they were autographs. Looking back, I probably should have unfolded the papers to make sure I wasn't signing some sort of "no homework" guarantee, or some kind of "please excuse Bert from PE" excuse.

Note to self, don't sign anymore pieces of paper for the kidlets without reading them first.

Also, don't make any more decisions after having thirty dry erase markers uncapped and in use for hours at a time.




You all don't have to watch the videos, they are mostly just for my fellow band mates to enjoy. But, if you do decide to watch one, watch the one below. Why? Because you only catch a few glimpses of my attempts at back-up dancing. Dear sweet Valerie tried to knock some rhythm into me, but I am afraid I am a hopeless case.



Untitled from Mindy Haws on Vimeo.



Oh, and don't ask about the accordion. That is a video and a post for another day... a dry-erase kind of day.





Untitled from Mindy Haws on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Bobi... said...

You are the most rockin' teacher EVER!!! Way to put on a great show! Wish I would have had some teachers like you when we were growing up!

Kar said...

This brings back the best memories EVER. When I was teaching, my teacher friends and I formed a "dance" group - we specialized in the chicken dance and the like - and we called ourselves Red Thunder. We performed to "Hey Ya." It was hilarious. I'm loving your backup dancing action. You are adorable.