Red Ribbon week at a junior high is wonderful.
Why, you may ask, is Red Ribbon week at a junior high wonderful?
Two words: Theme Days
Oh, and the whole "Drugs are bad", "Just say no", thing is cool too.
Monday was crazy hat day.
Even the teachers tipped our hats to staying drug-free.
Tuesday was, like, 80's day because being drug free is, like, totally awesome!
I REALLY enjoyed 80's day.
Half of the kidlets were pretty impressed. The other half were, umm, pretty embarrassed for me.Today was Nerd Day, because staying away from drugs is a smart move. I was amazed at how many of the kidlets dressed up for this one. Well over half showed up decked out in their nerdiest duds. The principal even played Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" over the PA system during first hour.

The teachers got in on the act too because teachers are, after all, just grown up nerds spend their days trying to recruit new nerds to the educational cause.
I didn't have any trouble finding nerd-ish paraphernalia.
I am already dreading the end of Red Ribbon Week, when we will have to go back to coming to school dressed as normal teachers and kidlets. Of course, I will probably get a few less weird looks when I stop by the grocery store and the post office once our theme days are a thing of the past. I think I might miss those weird looks, just a little.Thankfully there are still two days left before I have to go back to dressing like a sane grown-up type person. Tomorrow we are "coloring our world drug-free!" with colorful day. Then, on Friday, we will all "spend more time looking in the mirror instead of doing drugs" for crazy hair day.

After that, I might need to come up with some theme days of my own, just to keep life interesting. I'm an English teacher, so maybe a "dress as your favorite literary character day" or an "embody your favorite adjectives day"?
They might not be as fun as 80's day, but anythings better than dress slacks, button-downs, and sensible shoes.
Viva la theme days!
Viva la senseless!
Viva la theme days!
5 comments:
Dude, EVERY day is eighties day, if you look at current trends. And I totally bought some earrings just like the ones you wore on 80's day for Lexi for her birthday!!! But they were yellow. I think some of the theme days are a stretch - spend more time looking into the mirror instead of doing drugs? Come onnnnn....
NERD! haha.
those are some pretty awesome costumes. can't wait to see what you come up with for the rest of the week.
I miss Red Ribbon Days!
Red Ribbon Week is next week for my kids. One of their days coinsides with Halloween-"Scare off drugs", or something like that. And I LOVE the nerd outfits, but you totally nailed the 80s! That was such an unfortunate era for fashion; it's surprising that we *actually* wore that stuff and thought it was cool!
I remember wearing that outfit you re-donned for 80s day! The little clip on your t-shirt? Priceless! And you look cute too!
Post a Comment