Thursday, September 9, 2010

Passive-Agressiveness in 17 Syllables

It was cold today. Ok.

It wasn't that cold, but today 's temperatures were chillier than they have been for a while.

And it just so happened that today was the day I had planned to take my two A-day classes of creative writing kidlets outside. My plan was to give them an opportunity to use the great outdoors as the inspiration for some traditional nature-centric haikus.

I let them go to their lockers to get their jackets.
I promised them them that if the rain really started to pour, they could run back inside.
I gave them permission to cling to the east side of the school in an attempt to avoid the wind.
And I didn't make them stay out for quite as long as I had planned.

But instead of ending up with concise, yet musical 17-syllable tributes to the glory of autumn, I am afraid that I ended up with two turn-in-boxes full of.... not that.


I Hate Nature
the freezing cold wind
pelts me with icy raindrops
i miss my warm desk

To Miss H
why do you hate us?
make us stand out in the cold?
we feel so betrayed.

Creative Writing
used to like this class
used to have all my toes, too
amputation sucks


Oh well.

Maybe we will have more luck next week with shape poems.

Or maybe I will just show a video instead.

5 comments:

Kierst said...

Haikus are easy,
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator.

Mindy H. said...

Oh dear. The kidlets are going to LOVE that one. Nice work!

Jenny said...

Awesome.
I kept my PE kids inside today so I wouldn't have to listen to them whine about the weather. I should have taken them outside - it would have been easier. They were really wound up and noise in the gym is amplified. Next week, I'm taking a bull horn, a whistle, and a paddle of some sort.

Janiece said...

They will appreciate that nice fall day in a couple of months.
I love your hands on teaching.

Kar said...

Hahaha!! Oh, I love junior high kids. They are so dang funny. I had them do journal writes for the first ten minutes of class, and I got many, many passive aggressive notes that way. Or maybe just really aggressive. If they were too mean, I marked their grade down.