I do feel, however, that I have been able learn from many of my spelling mistakes and, over time, have improved my spelling skills dramatically.
Of course, I also felt that way back in my junior year of high school when the Post Register hired me as a junior reported/columnist for their weekly teen page. I was pretty excited about what I considered to be a pretty prestigious honor... until I ran into my 5th grade teacher in the sock aisle at Wal-Mart. After I spent a good four minutes gushing about my adventures working for one of the largest newspapers in the state, I paused to allow Mrs. Montgomery time to agree with my assessment of my own coolness. Instead, she looked at me with sad eyes and said, "Oh sweetie... do they know you can't spell?"
Needless to say I was crushed.
Crestfallen.
Ashamed.
Dejected.
That one conversation held amongst the Hanes Assorted Performance Athletic Socks scarred me for life.
And yet, somehow I manged to rise above that lowest of low moments. I continued to write for the Post Register on into college.
And then I helped pay my way through Ricks College as a staff writer and later editor of the Scroll.
We had a good laugh, and then I told him that his keen intellect was wasted working with professional athletes.
I felt that posting this photo for the world to see would be a good way to repay him for being such a devoted, irony-loving brother. Thanks, Spence. (Oh, and my new group of kids loooooooved your being-arrested-on-the-school-bus-in-ninth-grade-for-mooning-a-cop story. I'm getting much better at telling it. In fact, this year, the story seemed to take on a new life. Thanks for the added inspiration)
Postscript: Spellcheck informs me that the original version of this post contained 15 misspelled words, including: Register, columnist, aisle, conversation, amongst, performance, soldered , Spellcheck, responsibilities, congratulatory, congratulate, reveling, endeavors, accompanying, and original.
5 comments:
You are pretty amazing (ala Mr. Hatch, I would say). And I had forgotten about most of those stories. Moose and Maggie look so young.
I thnk you get yor speling skills from you mother. love dad
Spell check was invented for a reason! And some words have crazy spellings. (Really, why do we need "x"?) Also, where does Spencer get off having two masters degrees?!?!? I wonder if I can buy one off him...
I feel your pain! I really do! There no better possibility in misspelling a word than when you're writing on the board. But messing up on Spell check? Poor Mindy :)
I actually wrote a thesis paper on the fact that some people are born spellers, and others are not. And that's that. I'd say that your million-dollar vocabulary more than makes up for it. "Soldered?" I'll have to go look that up now...
Post a Comment