Monday, April 26, 2010

The Changing of the Guard

An Only Slightly Exaggerated account of the Sunday Session of Stake Conference

The wind was cold that Sunday,
The lobby silent as a tomb.
We sat assembled in the KFAC,
Hearts filled with anxious gloom.


Any passer-by-ers may have thought,
“Someone here's deceased!”
But what was really weighing down our minds
Was the Stake Presidency’s release.

The thought of losing these three leaders
Was almost more than we could bear.
We knew how much they loved us,
Sacrificing their sleep, their time… their hair.

Presidents Beck and Williams
We knew we’d see around
At Stokes and at the fair booth,
And on the temple’s hallowed grounds.

But not so with President Sagers.
To lead a mission he must go,
To battle snakes and Baptists
Three hundred miles north of San Antonio.

And after three long years of whipping
Elders and Sisters into shape
Who knows where the Church might send him…
If he doesn’t get eaten by a snake.

The whole stake will surely miss him,
But the young single adults felt so betrayed.
For attending his institute classes
Was the biggest commitment we’d ever made.

As the institute director
He showed us special care
He taught us about the scriptures
And when it is permissible to swear.


The week before the conference
We wondered, “Who could take his place?”
And when Saturday rolled around,
Our spirits we did brace.

Sunday we came with score cards ready,
Our guesses made the previous night
Based upon who looked scared and pale,
And who had hugged his wife extra tight.

We waited there with bated breath
For Elder Hammond to announce
Who would inherit the stake office,
And then rarely see their spouse.

We felt our hearts a pounding,
Anticipation shook our bones,
And then we heard the name announced,
President G. Chad Jones!
Photo stolen from The Jones Crew



His name resounded in our ears
As he stood for all to see,
And I was fairly certain
I heard Krystal yell, “Yippee!”

The room seemed a bit lighter
As we watched him climb the stairs.
And I could have sworn the smell
Of hot dog jello filled the air.


President Jones and both his counselors
Whom we hold in high regard,
Took their places on the stand…
Twas the changing of the guard.

Then we cried with President Sagers
As he steadfastly testified.
His missionaries will sure be blessed
To have him as their guide.
Photo stolen from One Moment At A Time

Then we silently committed
When President Jones asked us to invite
Everyone around us
To all meetings, day and night.


Then Sister Jones took the stand
And our joy did overflow our cup,
When she quoted Kristi,
“You can do it, Mom. Buck up!”
Photo stolen from The Jones Crew


Then Elder Hammond taught on callings,
And Elder Pieper preached balance in our lives.
And then the conference ended,
And the stake swarmed both Presidents and wives.





They thanked the Sagers family,
Pledged the Joneses their support.
But the biggest crowd was in the aisle,
Where Kristi was holding court.
Photo stolen from The Jones Crew

And every soul who left that day,
As they passed through the KFAC’s doors,
Offered prayers of thanks for leaders new,
And for those who came before.

8 comments:

The Gracie Jones blog said...

I loved reading your blog Mindy we are so happy for my dad he will do such a good job I loved taking your class will you do it the next sesmerter I hope you will teach it again Love, Kristi

Jolene said...

What a wonderful blog!!! You have to give a copy of this to all the old and new. We love them all so much!

scottandsuefamily said...

You said what we couldn't put into words or pictures! Thank you for your amazing blog. We, too, love you and them. I guess it's time to share President Jones with the whole stake!dde

Jenny said...

I'm not sure which is worse, the photo of the snake bite or the hot dog jello. yuck.

nice poem, though. :)

Kar said...

I think it's neat that you know your stake presidency. I don't even know who half of our stake presidency are...

The Jones Crew said...

Mindy you are so cute. We love you! Just consider yourself the new Stake Poetic Historian. Thanks for the cookies....Chad didn't even offer the others the cherry chocolate ones. They were delish!

angelicindy said...

I know it's silly, but I teared up a little at your poem. I think it was at the part where President Sagers was the biggest commitment the YSA had made and that he was going on a mission. And I'm so excited for the new leaders! Chris told me that it will be nice to not have to break the habit of calling him 'President' Jones :)

Burley Barlows said...

You are just too clever. We miss you so much and are always wanting to know how things are going. It is always so fun to see you. Thanks for putting all of our feelings into such good appropriate words and pictures!