I had a very difficult time selecting my top nemesis this week.
There was, of course, the evil lap top that dedicated all of its RAM, battery cells, DDR, and pixels to thwarting my attempts to finish the 6th grade orientation video.
Then there was this thing that took up both lanes as it puttered along in front of me for blocks and blocks, making me later for a meeting I was already late for.

Putter, putter, putter, putter, putter, putter.

But it turns out that, when it comes down to the nemesis-selecting-wire, neither thwarting nor puttering could compare to the lovely spring weather we have been enjoying.

Of course, by "lovely" I mean "freezing", and "enjoying" is code for "whining through chattering teeth and frostbitten lips." But that is what spring in Idaho is all about, right? The traditional juxtaposition of cheery spring decor on the same stoop as a snow shovel.
Putter, putter, putter, putter, putter, putter.
But it turns out that, when it comes down to the nemesis-selecting-wire, neither thwarting nor puttering could compare to the lovely spring weather we have been enjoying.
Of course, by "lovely" I mean "freezing", and "enjoying" is code for "whining through chattering teeth and frostbitten lips." But that is what spring in Idaho is all about, right? The traditional juxtaposition of cheery spring decor on the same stoop as a snow shovel.
Don't get me wrong. I am a life-long Idahoan, and as such am very used to the whole "Spring in Idaho" thing. I am fine with blasting the heater on the way to school in the morning...
...and then rocking the AC on the way home in the evening.

I don't have a problem with wearing a breathable ensemble to teach in, then throwing on a jacket when I get chilly.

Ooops. Wait. THIS is the jacket I throw on when I get chilly. THAT was the boa I throw on when I get dramatic.

No, my problem (besides my unhealthy affinity for feather boas) is that wretched wind that has been howling up and down my valley for days on end.

The wind that threatens to rip my car door off its hinges whenever I try to exit my vehicle.
The wind that transforms my hair from a reasonably presentable teacher-do to an eye-lashing mass of swirling furry to a tangled nest of very unpresentable knots of frizz.
The wind that, I am fairy certain, carried off a few of the scrawnier 7th graders during this mornings fire drill. But don't worry about the overly-aerodynamic kidletts. If the wind blew them all the way to Wyoming, they could actually attend a school that can afford luxuries like chalk and toilet paper. Lucky overly-aerodynamic kidletts...

But this blasted wind hasn't just carried off things like scrawny sevies and half-hearted hair-dos. It has also carried things into my valley. This like obscene amounts of sinus-torturing pollen, miles of soul-dampening clouds, and...
I don't have a problem with wearing a breathable ensemble to teach in, then throwing on a jacket when I get chilly.
Ooops. Wait. THIS is the jacket I throw on when I get chilly. THAT was the boa I throw on when I get dramatic.
No, my problem (besides my unhealthy affinity for feather boas) is that wretched wind that has been howling up and down my valley for days on end.

The wind that threatens to rip my car door off its hinges whenever I try to exit my vehicle.
The wind that transforms my hair from a reasonably presentable teacher-do to an eye-lashing mass of swirling furry to a tangled nest of very unpresentable knots of frizz.
The wind that, I am fairy certain, carried off a few of the scrawnier 7th graders during this mornings fire drill. But don't worry about the overly-aerodynamic kidletts. If the wind blew them all the way to Wyoming, they could actually attend a school that can afford luxuries like chalk and toilet paper. Lucky overly-aerodynamic kidletts...
But this blasted wind hasn't just carried off things like scrawny sevies and half-hearted hair-dos. It has also carried things into my valley. This like obscene amounts of sinus-torturing pollen, miles of soul-dampening clouds, and...
... lots and lots of hail, which is pretty much just snow with a bad attitude and a license to maim.

And after early morning exercise and a full day of teaching, I just don't have the energy to run to my car while trying to dodge sharp chunks of ice with added velocity from 40 mile and hour winds.
And after early morning exercise and a full day of teaching, I just don't have the energy to run to my car while trying to dodge sharp chunks of ice with added velocity from 40 mile and hour winds.
8 comments:
I looked up the weather for the week: Wind Monday and Tuesday and Rain on Wednesday. I try to remember when the sun starts to shine that it's only visiting and we don't actually finish this yucky spring weather until June. Then we get summer for all of July and August. Awww. I love Idaho ;)
Wow, I missed that hail. I was in Twin that day. Didn't get any hail in Twin although, we did get snow. When I went to Sun Valley there wasn't windy or rainny until after everyone finished eating lunch in Ketchum. Didn't have any wind at all though. This weather is crazy these days.
I love reading your blog Mindy you are just to cute I don't like the wind at all it is so crazy I hope you had a great day today are you teaching your Wednesday night class next semester I love to take them form you you are a best friend to me I love you so very much Love, Kristi Jones
March really did us a disservice - that unseasonably warm streak around St. Patty's Day - so cruel. Mother Nature is a teaser. Yeah, this wind makes me want to punch someone. I was helping Sadie into our car the other day, and the wind slammed the door into my head while I was putting on her seat belt. I will admit that I said the S word.
you and ruby DO have something in common - feather boas. :) or you HAD something in common. she was pulling the feathers out of her boa, one feather at a time. she doesn't seem to notice that her boa has disappeared, and we still have hot pink feathers on everything we own.
Well, quit sending that weather south!!!
I know for a week in the next couple of months we will have a day that we will BEG for a nice cool day.
But...not today right...
Snow yesterday...sunshine today!
But with you on the highway this weekend I'm sure there is a spring blizzard lurking out there. Also did you warn the people of Northern California that you are coming for a couple of days and to dress their children for winter.
The wind. THE WIND. Oh, I hate the wind. I was ready to move last week. Grrr. I need to build some big huge brick enclosure around my entire house and backyard. I'm sure the neighbors would love it.
Post a Comment