For example, someone with a serious wool allergy shouldn't herd sheep professionally.

A highway patrolman who gets car-sick would also be somewhat less-effective in his chosen field.

As would a politician with a conscience and/or moral center. They just wouldn't be able to function in the accepted manner of their professions.

I have enough common sense to see the problems with the scenarios I mentioned above, but not enough to stop me from taking a job that requires a skill that I do not possess...spelling.
Experiences like those have inspired me to agree with former President Andrew Jackson that, "It is a damn poor mind that can't come up with more than one way to spell a word." If I could cross-stitch, that would be on every pillow in my apartment...and the phrases would be spelled differently on every one of them!
When I was a Junior in high school, the Post Register started paying me to write cute little feature stories and short, funny columns for the paper. I was so excited to have landed such a prestigious first job, that I practically tackled my old 5th grade teacher to tell her the news when I saw her in Walmart. When I told her that I would be writing for the biggest newspaper in our part of the state, she got a sad look on her face, put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Sweetie....do they know that you can't spell?"

Now that I think about it, maybe I became a junior high English teacher because of my spelling issues, and NOT in spite of them. Maybe I wanted to help other kids learn to spell without having the same emotionally crippling experiences that I had as a child. Or maybe I just wanted to surround myself with people who were worse spellers that I was....hummmmm.....
But even though my motives for becoming an English teacher are not clear, one thing that should be perfectly obvious is my empathetical attachment to my fellow poor-spellers. Take my nephew Max.

I have always loved Max, and will always love him no matter what. But when he brought this drawing home from his genius kid summer camp, I immediately called my attorney and had my will rewritten so that Maxwell is my sole beneficiary (which may have been a mistake considering he is the only one of my nephews with the temperament, resources, or connections to put a contract out on my life) .

But all joking about Max's fondness for contract killers aside, I feel and deep bond with the kid because of his adventures in spelling.
Hummmm.....Perhaps all official "Habitual Bad Spellers Club" business should be conducted over the phone.
Yeah. A phone call would be much better.
I have always loved Max, and will always love him no matter what. But when he brought this drawing home from his genius kid summer camp, I immediately called my attorney and had my will rewritten so that Maxwell is my sole beneficiary (which may have been a mistake considering he is the only one of my nephews with the temperament, resources, or connections to put a contract out on my life) .
But all joking about Max's fondness for contract killers aside, I feel and deep bond with the kid because of his adventures in spelling.
I feel the same way about the person or persons who typed up this flier, made hundreds of copies, and then tacked them up from one end of the valley to the other. In fact, I think that we spelling-challenged folks should organize and form some sort of support group.
BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE...I mean UNIET....or is it UNITE...
Hummmm.....Perhaps all official "Habitual Bad Spellers Club" business should be conducted over the phone.
Yeah. A phone call would be much better.

6 comments:
That sign is funny. In fact, I wrote a blog a few weeks ago about a similar sign near my apartment. I guess there are a lot of bad spellers out there. I thought it was just a California thing!
Have you noticed that the sign near Jenny's warning drivers of a 'handicaped child' in the area is misspelled? Who ever heard of a handicaped child? Is this a contagious type of child's cape? ha ha
Oh, wait... you probably hadn't noticed the spelling!
I haven't noticed that before... but now I am thinking about having Jenny's boys cape-up for a photo shoot in front of that sign. This could be fun!
mr. hatch
enough said.
but, btw - which of our brother's names can you spell w/ no problems?
Hahaha! I never, ever knew you were a non-speller. It's bizarre - either people can spell, or they can't. I actually wrote a thesis paper on that for my linguistics class in college. Thank goodness for spell check, eh? My mom doesn't use spell check. She just calls me every time she can't figure out how to spell a word. They call me the Human Spell Check. Give me a call any time.
That sign was really funny. Maybe it was Hugh Grant's yard sale or maybe Hugh Heffner's...could be a very interesting yard sale on that one.
Post a Comment