When we started our masochistic workout routine nigh unto two years ago, I thought it would eventually get easier to drag my lazy carcass out of bed at 4:50 a.m.
Twenty three months later, I am still waiting for "eventually" to roll around.
At night I go to sleep in my comfy bed in my cute apartment, but every morning I wake up to my own personal Gitmo with Major General Elizabeth McPain as the self-appointed head torturer.
Of course there are perks to speed walking through my cute little cow town at 5 a.m. For example, the cool/cold weather creates an opportunity to cover up my early morning ugliness with layers and layers of clothing. Of course, the layers aren't really all that necessary considering that we are pretty much the only people awake at that time of the night/morning who aren't milking cows or dodging the police.
Not that it matters, because at 5 in the A.M., layers or no, the view looks an awful lot like this...
I have given both Elizabeth and Lacie a whole lot of grief about "forcing me" to get up that early over the past two years. This summer, however, I discovered that waking up at 4:50 a.m. is NOT the worst thing in the world.
No. That honor belongs to "waking up at 5:50 a.m."
Elizabeth, bless her hard-working-heart, decided to start teaching her private lessons a hour later this summer. That meant that we could sleep in a full 60 minutes before hitting the road each morning. I was pretty darn excited about that until my first post 5 a.m. wake up call rolled around and I realized that...
At 5:50 a.m. I have no cloak of darkness to hide behind or cold-weather-excuse to justify my 6 a.m. hideousness under layers of sweatshirts and hoods.
Because there are.
There are a lot of them.
And they do not have swelled udders or flashing police lights to distract them from the not-so-beautiful results of my beauty sleep the night before.
Over the course of our first 6 a.m. walking session, Elizabeth and I crossed paths with our favorite shared student who was riding with her mother to soccer camp, one of the most distinguished musicians in our stake who was out for a walk of his own, my branch's missionary couple out for a stroll, a former kidlet on his way to swim team practice, and about eight other folks from the top of my "people who I NEVER want to see how I look when I roll out of bed" list. I may have burned a few calories walking those miles that day, but that is nothing compared to the water weight I lost crying countless tears of shame later that morning.
The big problem for me at that time in the morning is the toxic level of bedhead that I wake up with. I had no idea that, when I asked Tricia to chop off my longer locks, I was sentencing myself to countless mornings of near-fatal morning hair freakouts.
For those of you who have been lucky enough NOT to see me speed walking through your neighborhood at 6 a.m. this summer, here is a "visual approximation"
That's not quite right.
When you combine my bedhead with a lack of eyeliner and toss in a healthy dose of oily skin and sandy eyes, my early morning exercise look is closer to this...
I've tried brushing it, combing it, and wetting it down. It's not long enough to subdue in ponytails, and ball caps just can't contain it. 
I was actually very close to giving up my much-needed morning exercise time until I found out that the city pool offers an early morning lap swimming session. It was the perfect solution! Now, a few mornings each week, Elizabeth drives down my street, slowing down just enough for me run down my steps, across the lawn, and jump into her waiting car. The only people at the pool when we arrive are a few sleepy staffers, who are either setting out chairs on the far side of the pool or napping on the front counter wrapped up in towels. We leave our money on the counter and slip unseen into the locker room where the high-pressure pre-swim-showers force my bedhead into submission long enough for me to jump in the pool and successfully drown it for the rest of the day.

I was actually very close to giving up my much-needed morning exercise time until I found out that the city pool offers an early morning lap swimming session. It was the perfect solution! Now, a few mornings each week, Elizabeth drives down my street, slowing down just enough for me run down my steps, across the lawn, and jump into her waiting car. The only people at the pool when we arrive are a few sleepy staffers, who are either setting out chairs on the far side of the pool or napping on the front counter wrapped up in towels. We leave our money on the counter and slip unseen into the locker room where the high-pressure pre-swim-showers force my bedhead into submission long enough for me to jump in the pool and successfully drown it for the rest of the day.
When our buddy Krystal started joining us in our early morning splash sessions, lap swimming became the perfect post-sunrise exercise program: visit with friends, burn calories, build muscles, and tame unruly hair follicles with out any of the bedhead induced humiliation that I continue to face on our walking mornings.
Aren't we lovely?




6 comments:
You guys are really devoted to exercise. I would rather gouge out my eyeballs than get up that early to exercise. Do you have to go to bed at, like, 7?? I would also walk around like a zombie the whole next day. Since it's summer, do you just go home and sleep for a few more hours when you return home from the pool?
Hey Mindy -
I'm friends with Warren and Becky. We're in the same ward. I stumbled upon your blog and have since started reading it on a regular basis. You are so hilarious and so write so well. I am usually cracking up all the time!
Anyway, I hope you don't mind that I read your blog and maybe comment here and there.
By the way, I LOVED your comment about living in Idaho and not being a registered Republican. So hilarious. People treat me like I'm a looney for not being one either. They get even more freaked out when they find out I'm a registered Democrat. To think!
okay - who is that second guy. he looks really familiar . . .
i can't believe you get up that early to excercise. every once in a while i think back to walking in the summers at 6am w/ amy j. and i think "stupid." don't know how you do it, but it's pretty amazing.
Dude, my kids start swim lessons this coming week (for 2 weeks) at 10 a.m. I keep thinking, "Man, how am I going to get us out the door that EARLY?" You put me to shame. I am not worthy of your getting up-iness, or your exercis-iness. You rock.
Ok. So I have walked with you once and your hair didn't look like that. Isn't the other hairy person one of the monsters from Never Ending Story? I can't remember what movie he is from.
way to go for exercising! I love to swim... I just wish it didn't take so long to get into the suit, drive to the pool, swim, shower, and dress. It's so much WORK :)
Post a Comment