Sunday, February 22, 2009

Signs of the Times

I was at the grocery store on Saturday (buying more lozenges in an attempt to lure back my wayward voice) and had a nice conversation with the clerk about how I spend my studentless-summers. I was a little surprised when she asked me if I stayed in town or went back to the "big city" for the two and a half month break. "I go visit my family during the summer," I answered in my scratchy-sounding whisper, "but I live here year round."
I have to admit that I was surprised by her question because I really can't understand how anyone could NOT want to live here year-round.
Case in point: This week, in honor of National FFA (Future Farmers of America, for you city folk) week, the kids drove their tractors to school. Sure, I might have to drive 45 minutes down the interstate to get to a mall, an Italian restaurant, or a Barnes and Noble, but diving past a high school parking lot full of John Deere's makes those kinds of sacrifices seem mighty insignificant.

As one of our newest street sign's proclaims, this is God's country (If you don't believe me, please notice the strategic placement of the stake center in the background of the photo). And, come to think of it, the SIGNS around town are a big part of the charm.

My mom's parents grew up in this town, attending the picture shows in the same theater I frequent. There is a new sign in front now, but I love that the original bricked-in name is still visible. The two signs link the past with the future and make me smile every time I drive by.
The signs around this town tell much more about Burley than just the names of businesses or the rules of the road. For example, the fact that most of our street signs are still nailed to wooden beams instead of mounted on metal posts tells a lot about the pace of life in this cute little cow town.

And don't even get me started on the hand-carved city building signs. Every time I see one I look around to see if I can spot Sheriff Andy walking little Opie down to the fishing hole.

I love the sign for the Rusty Spur...

...and my brothers never visit without commenting on the name of one of their favorite Magic Valley establishments. Of course, they are all about the bodily function humor, so you can imagine the fun they have with the service station's title.

Even though I have lived here for close to five years now, my favorite signs today are still the same signs that stood out to me the first few times I ventured into town for job interviews and house hunting.
I still laugh every time I see this one...

...does anyone else thing the & sign looks a little too much like another letter "S"?

And then there is the two-sided sign outside the church on the corner of my street. I love giving people directions to my house because I get to tell them, "You'll know you are almost there when you see the 'Prepare to meet thy God' sign."

And the other side is a nice reminder for them as they enter and exit my apartment...

My all time favorite sign is also very close to my house.
The local senior center is just across the street. The actual building is set far into the block behind some trees, making it almost impossible to see from the street as you drive by. In what must have been an attempt to make the center easier to locate, the sign was unfortunately erected down the lane and right on the main street. Why is that "unfortunate" you ask? Look in the background of the photo, behind the sign.
Yep. That's a cemetery.
And since you can't see the actual senior center from the road, it kind of looks like the older folks round these parts get much the same treatment as lame horses get.
I guess that would explain why my parents haven't seemed real excited about the prospect of moving over by me when they retire.
The only sign our little piece of heaven is missing is the "World's Best Place to Live" sign, but I'm sure the FFA kids will get to work carving us one as soon as they finish parking their tractors.

7 comments:

Charlotte said...

The town our high school is in is home to a lot of retirees. One of the quotes in the yearbook last year was "If there is a group of old people in Edmonds, we have sung to them." One of my students has really been lobbying for us to go down and sing at a nursing home called, "The Pearly Gates."

Janiece said...

You are so right.
The charm and slow pace are two of the many things that make this a great place to live.
I have never thought about the cemetery having almost the same drive way as the Sr. Building!!
and yes, I get a kick out of the pawn shop sign. Glad to know I am not the only one!!
Get feeling better.

Jenny said...

burley DOES have character.

and cows.


:)

Nat said...

Yes, the "&" in the A&S sign DOES look like another "S". I think it's HILARIOUS that the kids rode their tractors to school! I also love the Senior Citizen Center sign by the cemetery.

shymickeygirl said...

I always thought that the Senior Citizen sign was the funniest. Only in Burley do you see the senior citizen center next to a cemetary. Rupert's is next to a canal and their little thing they call a skate park. I am kind of glad that they changed the sign at the Burley Theater because I always got the feeling that the old one was going to fall on me, or at least somebody, everytime I went there. I noticed you took it when Twilight was posted on the sign.LOL.

Kar said...

I loved this post! (I love all of your posts.) What a cute town. I love small towns. And I think it's so funny that the kids drove their tractors to school. Love it!

Walt and Eileen said...

How fun this was to see! We've lived in Burley over 40 years....arrived July 1966, and I haven't even noticed some of these fun things you point out. We had 2 kids when we arrived, our other 5 were born at the good ole Burley Hospital.
Our kids had a great education in Burley and all were accepted at BYU Provo, and all are BYU graduates.
We look forward to returning when we finish this 3rd mission together--this time we're in Argentina.
Love, Los Petersen - Dr. Walt & Eileen Thanks Julie(our dau) for sending this post. She and John are now starting their kids in the Burley schools.