My friend Anne died last Friday. She was one of the first people I got to know when I moved to this cute little town, my advisor the first time I served as Relief Society president, and one of the wisest people I have ever met. Single until the age of 45, Anne was an incredible example: returned missionary, church leader, world traveler, teacher, counselor, wife, and mother to everyone around her. You can read more about her amazing life here , but my favorite memories of Anne are centered around her service, along with her sweet husband, in our singles ward. We older singlets would flock to Anne's table during linger longers to hear her stories and advice about being a single woman in the church, especially during holidays like Valentines and Mother's Day. Always uplifting, we never left her table without being inspired about the opportunities that lay ahead for us. I especially remember a long conversation we had in my living room a few months after I was set apart as RS president. She listened to my frustrations, calmed my fears, taught me, counseled me, and made me laugh. I know that she will continue to touch lives through the example she set here, and through her work on the other side of the veil. If anyone deserves some post-mortal-life down-time, it would be Anne, but she has never been one to rest on her laurels, or even take a breather. I'm sure that this last week has been the most productive the spirit world has seen in some time. And whoever she is teaching, counseling, or nudging into the light, I hope they realize how lucky they are to have her.
Thursday, February 26, 2009
An Elect Lady
My friend Anne died last Friday. She was one of the first people I got to know when I moved to this cute little town, my advisor the first time I served as Relief Society president, and one of the wisest people I have ever met. Single until the age of 45, Anne was an incredible example: returned missionary, church leader, world traveler, teacher, counselor, wife, and mother to everyone around her. You can read more about her amazing life here , but my favorite memories of Anne are centered around her service, along with her sweet husband, in our singles ward. We older singlets would flock to Anne's table during linger longers to hear her stories and advice about being a single woman in the church, especially during holidays like Valentines and Mother's Day. Always uplifting, we never left her table without being inspired about the opportunities that lay ahead for us. I especially remember a long conversation we had in my living room a few months after I was set apart as RS president. She listened to my frustrations, calmed my fears, taught me, counseled me, and made me laugh. I know that she will continue to touch lives through the example she set here, and through her work on the other side of the veil. If anyone deserves some post-mortal-life down-time, it would be Anne, but she has never been one to rest on her laurels, or even take a breather. I'm sure that this last week has been the most productive the spirit world has seen in some time. And whoever she is teaching, counseling, or nudging into the light, I hope they realize how lucky they are to have her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I couldn't believe it when I heard today that she had passed away.
What a wonderful tribute to such an amazing lady.
That was beautifully written. I hope that someday I can be as amazing as she sounds.
Oh, no... it's too early for her to be gone. Dang it!! That is so sad. What did she die of?
i'm so sorry to hear of your friend's death. what a beautiful tribute.
Post a Comment