Thirty years ago today, my birth was proclaimed to all the world via the "today's special" sign outside my dad's restaurant. With such an auspicious beginning, there should have been little doubt that I was destined for great things. I mean, really, can President Obama or the Pope claim to have beat out fish and chips for top billing the day that either of them were born? I don't think so.
And I am proud to say that I have spent the past three decades living up to the tremendous potential hinted at by that sign so many years ago: I am a pretty decent teacher, a college graduate, a published writer, and a returned missionary. I can play three instruments, speak fluent Canadian, and program my DVR to record two programs at the same time. When I look back on my list of accomplishments, I can't help but feel tremendously blessed, which is odd because, when I look back on the photos of my early childhood, I can't help but notice that I look tremendously annoyed.
My big sister Jenny always seems to be smiling and looking pleased as punch about her lot in life, but my facial expressions seemed confined to the unhappy, confused, or generally ticked off side of the emotional spectrum. I find this to be somewhat troubling because I have always believed my childhood was extraordinarily pleasant. Photographic evidence, however, seems to disprove that.
And I am proud to say that I have spent the past three decades living up to the tremendous potential hinted at by that sign so many years ago: I am a pretty decent teacher, a college graduate, a published writer, and a returned missionary. I can play three instruments, speak fluent Canadian, and program my DVR to record two programs at the same time. When I look back on my list of accomplishments, I can't help but feel tremendously blessed, which is odd because, when I look back on the photos of my early childhood, I can't help but notice that I look tremendously annoyed.
My big sister Jenny always seems to be smiling and looking pleased as punch about her lot in life, but my facial expressions seemed confined to the unhappy, confused, or generally ticked off side of the emotional spectrum. I find this to be somewhat troubling because I have always believed my childhood was extraordinarily pleasant. Photographic evidence, however, seems to disprove that.Apparently, my childhood was full of terror,

...frustration,

... confusion,

...and whatever emotion inspired me to do this.

I clearly suffered a great deal during my formative years, but that newly gained insight into my past has actually had a positive effect on me. I have been anticipating this thirtieth birthday with a great deal of trepidation because I couldn't imagine that my life could get any better than it has been. I felt like I had already experienced my high point and everything else would have to be a downhill plunge into the dark and hopeless abyss of old age. So you can imagine my relief when I realized that, according to the photos, my childhood actually sucked, which means I still have some good years banked.

...frustration,

... confusion,

...and whatever emotion inspired me to do this.

I clearly suffered a great deal during my formative years, but that newly gained insight into my past has actually had a positive effect on me. I have been anticipating this thirtieth birthday with a great deal of trepidation because I couldn't imagine that my life could get any better than it has been. I felt like I had already experienced my high point and everything else would have to be a downhill plunge into the dark and hopeless abyss of old age. So you can imagine my relief when I realized that, according to the photos, my childhood actually sucked, which means I still have some good years banked.
Of course, my other working theory to explain the faces in the photos is that I spent the first five years of my life stressing out over the knowledge that I would eventually be thirty years old. And that would explain why, when my mom wished me "Happy Birthday" this morning, my facial expression looked an awful lot like the one I am wearing in the photo below.
Here's hoping the next thirty years are just as terrifying, frustrating, and confusing as the last thirty, because it has been one heck of a fun ride. Viva la birthdays! And please pass the cake.

5 comments:
love the pictures.
hope you have a happy birthday and that you won't be making odd faces in any photos that are taken today. :)
Mindy- you are amazing! You know, thirty isn't all that bad. I have actually enjoyed being 30, 31, and soon 32 will be coming. Every time we have a birthday it means we get to look forward to another year of having a blast with our own life. I find much comfort in that fact. Who cares if we're getting older in the process, that just meaans we're getting wiser right? Anyways, sorry to ramble on. Hope your birthday was absolutely FANTASTIC!
Those pictures make me laugh sooooo hard. I'm having a harder and harder time enjoying my birthdays as I get older. I need to adopt your positive outlook.
YAY! Happy birthday! I love all the random faces in your pictures. It's like my kids; I KNOW they're happy, but I can never catch just a normal smile from any of them SHOWING how happy they are. You will have an amazing 31st year, I just know it!
The pictures are wonderful!
And Happy Late Birthday!!!
You are never going to have to worry about age, (like a few other sisters I know...Jones, Barker, Hobson)you are an amazing example of how to have fun!
Hope you are feeling much better...and heck ya, pass the cake!
Post a Comment