Friday, January 30, 2009

Called to Serve in....

We have known for a week that my baby-est brother Greggie's mission call was in the mail.

My parents figured that it would arrive at their home (a home that has been Greg-less for over a month now) on Thursday, so they made plans to drive down to Utah on Saturday to deliver it to Greg.


It was a great plan, and everything went exactly the way it was supposed to... or at least the first thirty seconds of the plan went exactly the way it was supposed to.


The call arrived on Thursday...and my mom immediately called to get a sub for her Friday classes so that she and my dad could leave right then to get the call to Greg so he could open it.


Plan? What plan? Speed limits? What speed limits? Greggie's call is here!
My sister and brother-in-law were kind enough to host the call-opening-ceremonies, even though it was past the bed time of at least 50% of their children. They both look a little tired in this photo, Jenny because she is about 6 months pregnant with their 5th child, and John because he has to live with Jenny, who is about 6 months pregnant with their 5th child.

I wasn't able to attend the actual call-opening, but the big-ball-of-pregnant-crazy that is my wonderful sister took many, many photos for me and, after looking at all of them, I think I can pretty much guess what went down.


First, Greg apparently misunderstood when he heard that he had a "call".


"So, does that mean I don't have to use any of my day-time minutes? Cool."

As my parents were explaining the difference between "mission calls" and "phone calls", John and Bentley watched and dreamed of the day when Bentley would be opening his own mission call. "Dad," Bentley must have said, "tell me again why I am wasting valuable post-bed-time computer playing minutes watching Uncle Greggie try to check call waiting on an envelope?"
Finally, the fateful moment arrived.


"Dear Elder Haws: You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the PORTUGAL LISBON Mission."
"Dude, I'm going to Portugal!" Greg probably exclaimed. "That is so cool!....wait....they have indoor plumbing there, right?... Really? Good. Like I said, I'm going to Portugal! That is so cool!"

I'm sure my Dad immediately started spreading the word, calling family and friends to let them in on the exciting news. I just hope his first call wasn't to my brother who is currently serving in Brazil. After all, it was 2 a.m. in Brazil, oh...and CALLING A MISSIONARY IS AGAINST THE RULES DAD!
My mother, meanwhile, was on the phone giving me the play by play, so I don't have to guess her reaction...it was shock, just as it was when the rest of us opened our calls. After repeating, "I didn't even think about Portugal!" a few times, her mother reflex kicked in and she started planing the menu for the weekend of his farewell.
But while my parents were busy notifying the national media and planning a good-bye-Greg-bash that would make last week's inauguration look like a spur of the moment get togetherfor a few close friends, the Elder-to-be kept rereading his call, waiting for it to become real. "I'm going to Portugal. I'm going to Portugal..."
"I'm going..." Hummm....looks like it just got real.

So my baby-est brother heads to the MTC the first week in June to prepare to serve the Lord with all his might, mind, and strength in Portugal for two years. Nobody guessed Portugal, so I guess our Cold Stone winner will be whoever guessed the country closest to Portugal. Whoever that was, your gift certificate will be in the mail by the end of the week (although it might be the week Greg goes into the MTC, or the week he comes home from Portugal... Promptness has never been one of my more developed qualities, just ask the 7th graders who are still waiting for the their grades on a test they took on Monday) .

Ruby was apparently VERY disappointed that her guess didn't win. Look, she is so sad that her tutu wilted. "Portugal?" she must have thought, "Portugal? Really? Who in their right mind would want to go to Portugal?"

Good question.
Who would want to spend two years here? I mean, spending two years in Canada I could understand.
But this is certainly NOT Canada. This is...is...is...
...the new reason for my piggy bank's existence. Greg, dude, I am totally coming to pick you up in two years. We'll hit the historical sites and the beaches...
...and then swing through Canada on the way home, just so you can see what you missed.

9 comments:

Janiece said...

Congrats to the "H" family!!
How exciting!!
June will be here before you know it!!!

Becky said...

We are so excited for Greg!

Kar said...

Oh, lucky boy! That will be awesome. I've often thought of how scary it would be to get your call and realize that you won't see your mommy for two years. I would have been freaking out!

The Queen said...

hahaha, Mindy you are so funny! That was an awesome narrative.

The Queen said...

P.S. I picked Montana, so clearly the gift certificate should be coming my way.

SAYDA said...

Congratulations! What a happy time.

Heehaws said...

The Winner is...Jonah
He guessed earth!

Nat said...

How fun! One of my friends (she went to Skyline, but we'll forgive her for that) served in Portugal! She loved it. I think they had big bugs, and big rats. (Tell that to Greggie, but not your mom.)

angelicindy said...

So... is that Portugese or Spanish. I would think Portugese because... hello?..."Portug"al. But you never know. After all, there is no "Portug" in Brazil :)