In celebration of surviving the 2015 Niblet Challenge (Journal Writing), Kristina, Greggie, and I took the Utah niblets for dinner at a buffet restaurant. The little people had never been to a buffet before and it kind of blew their minds.
Milo had a plate of equal portions of popcorn shrimp, mac and cheese, and baked beans ... all covered with keptchup. He followed that up with some ice cream and cotton candy.
Ruby's first helping included chicken legs, shrimp, mashed potatoes and jello with whip cream. Next she took a cotton candy break, then decided to go back for a "healthy plate" made up of pretty much any vegetable she could reach, including Brussels sprouts.
Jonah's first plate was pretty buffet-typical, then followed it up with some ice cream. Pretty normal, right? It was round three of the Jonah vs. the Buffet that really stood out: Strawberry pancakes and popcorn shrimp. On the same plate. At the same time. Bless his heart.
Max loaded up on real food first, then hit the salad bar. Pretty impressive for a newly minted 12 year old. He also made good use of the chocolate fountain for his dessert.
Bentley, ever the wise eldest child, tried a bit of everything on what appeared to be themed plates: American comfort, fresh garden produce, Asian-American fusion, etc. Not one of his food combinations impacted any of the grown-ups gag reflexes. Truly impressive.
I think they enjoyed their first buffet experience. I know I sure enjoyed watching them enjoy their culinary adventure.
I hope they wrote about it in their journals....


No comments:
Post a Comment