1) The town pool is open again so Pam and I can swim every morning!
2) I can go to the bathroom whenever I want!
3) It is time for me to issue a challenge to homework-deprived niblets.
As important as reasons one and two may be (and they are oh so important...I am thinking about writing a sonnet to celebrate reason #2), post is dedicated to the task that the niblets and I are taking on for the summer.
You may recall that, two years ago, the summer challenge involved memorizing scriptures.
The Book of Mindy: Summer Challenge 2013
Then, last year, we memorized hymns and/or primary songs.
Summer Challenge 2014
This year, I thought we would take a break from memorizing and do some writing instead. Because what kidlet doesn't enjoy extra writing assignments during the summer?
So I am pleased to introduce the Niblet Summer Journal Challenge!
Each niblet received a personalized notebook wherein they shall write (at least) twice a week. They can write about things they did that week, things they learned, ways Heavenly Father blessed them, or things that made them happy that day.
And just in case they have trouble thinking of things to write, the first page of each book has a list of alternate topics. They could write about the kind things their mom does for them, the ways their dad has helped them, or the things they like/don't like about school.
Because Bubba is still a bit young for writing, his big sisters are going to help him with a picture journal as recommended by The Friend. (Picture Journals for Little Friends) He will draw a picture of something and then tell Kenna or Kylie what it is and they will write the caption underneath.
My favorite part of each book is the page I got to write on. I wrote an "I love..., I Hope..., I Know..." for each niblet. Deciding what to write to each kid took some time, but I had so much fun and liked the results to much that I ended up copying each entry over to my own journal.
My Idaho niblets got their journals when they came to Cow Town just before school got out for the summer. Kenna and Kylie are especially goal-oriented children, so they took the challenge in a stride.
The Utah niblets, however, were a little less excited when they got their journals one week into the vacation. But that might have a little something to do with the weekly research essays they are having to write for their parents all summer. Poor little darlings. They will either grow up to be English teachers or as mad bombers writing manifestos in mountain shacks. Or both.
Morgan won't get her journal until she visits in July, but that is probably for the best. It's not like she has a lot of free time on her hands now that she is helping to run her dad's football team.
I am doing the challenge too, and am woefully behind already. That means, if I want to have any hope of not getting my woeful behind kicked by the niblets in yet another challenge, I had better get my woeful behind in gear.
Maybe the niblets will let me print out blog posts and glue those in my journal?
Probably not. After all, they didn't show me any mercy last summer...
The Laser Tag Song (Summer Challenge 2014 Half-Way Reward)

1 comment:
Haha! I'm excited that you get to use the bathroom anytime you want. Ah, the UTI's I endured because of holding it every day... And I couldn't trust them enough to leave them for a moment while I went. Good times. Good times. What a fun idea for your niblets. This is why you deserve The Best Auntie On Earth award. I'm making my kids read every day, and you would think I'm asking them to rip out their spleen every day. My heck. I just don't want them (especially Micah) to lose any hard-won ground. He struggles a little in the reading department. I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks! Woop!
Post a Comment