My purse was stolen last night while I was at Family Home Evening.
My purse was stolen last night while I was at Family Home Evening in the Seminary building.
Really.
I left it alone for twenty minutes and that was all it took to get took. Cash, gone. Checkbook, gone. Debit card, gone. Credit card, gone. Apartment keys, gone. Car keys, gone. Mailbox key, gone. Two brand-spankin' new books of stamps, gone. And so on and so forth.
I went through all of the stages of grief in a relatively short period of time: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. And then I channeled the cartoon spirit of Disney's Prince John and mumbled, "I've been robbed" over and over again while sucking my thumb. It was actually very therapeutic.
And for the past 20 hours or so, I have been annoyed.Very annoyed.
But all things considered, it could have been worse. It turns out that the best thing about having my purse stolen was that it was stolen at FHE, so I had complete and total access to my wonderful branch presidency who helped with everything from making the police report, to breaking into my house to get my extra keys, to loaning me a cell phone to take care of business last night, to giving me a new cell phone to use forever, to guarding my car, to changing my locks, to giving me blessings, to giving me hugs. I am going to be happily making them thank-you-treats till the end of time.
And I was also surrounded by friends who gave me comfort (thanks, Zealanda), and doughnuts (thanks, Krystal!) and use of a neurotic bat-eared rat dog who, as it turns out, makes one heck of a guard dog (Thanks Elizabeth and Ratha!)
And now, 24 hours later, I have new locks, new keys, new accounts, and a new license.
Oh....
And a new obsession with fanny packs.
Really.
I think that with my luck (remember last week when I lost part of my finger in a freak cupcake making accident?) strapping all of my valuables to my person at all times seems like the wisest thing to.I could even get one of those cool leather fanny packs like Fiona on Burn Notice wears. Fiona doesn't look like a dork wearing her fanny pack... and in three seasons, nobody has ever tired to steal her purse.


Of course, that might have something to do with the big guns she carries around while wearing her fanny pack...
And I have to admit that I am no where near annoyed enough to acquire a gun to go with my fanny pack. I mean, if I can lose a giant piece of flesh making cupcakes, think of the damage I could do to myself with a shotgun.
And I have to admit that I am no where near annoyed enough to acquire a gun to go with my fanny pack. I mean, if I can lose a giant piece of flesh making cupcakes, think of the damage I could do to myself with a shotgun.Yikes.
Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to go count my blessings ... in alphabetical order from "Barlows" to "Zealanda".
And then I am going to shop for a fanny pack on-line.
14 comments:
I'm so glad you have your "family" around you to take care of you. I'm glad you're getting things taken care of. Stay safe for another day, and then come see Ice Dog. He's decided that when he is a grown-up he will help the police hunt down your purse.
Mindy I totally think that you could bring back the fanny pack you would be a trend setter for sure. Everyone would want one, once they see you with one. It would be a fanny pack epidemic.
That makes me so mad!!! The stealer will burn in heck. Grrr. And all the pain in the butt things you had to do to get life back to normal.... I am so sorry for you!!! Fiona kicks butt. I watch Burn Notice while I jog in my treadmill. It's very inspiring.
Poor Miss H!
Good thing you have Ice Dog on the trail for you.
I feel your pain. The night before I left for the mission my purse was stolen from the Relief Society room. I had to get a new drivers license on the way to the airport so I could get on the plane.
Think of it as a hip slung purse- it's so much cooler than the dreaded fanny pack.
Mindy - So sorry to hear about your larceny troubles! You are least deserving of such treatment. I'm happy you got everything worked out!
Mindy you handled it well and as your parents we want to thank everyone who helped and supported you. You are very lucky that you were with your family in Burley, rather than with us here in Idaho Falls. I've been trying to get your Mother to change our locks for years.
WOW...that is really sad!
Glad you have your branch to help you out!
oh no! But, wowsers!, you sure got a lot done in the last 20 hours! And I agree with you, Fiona's bag is so cool. I seriously thought of getting one for myself, but I figured wrapping one of those around me might look a little different than wrapping one around a toothpick :)
Oh my gosh! I can't believe someone would do that at FHE! Brianna once got her identity stolen-at Ricks college, no less. I'm so glad you had so many people around you to help.
By the way, one of Pete's favorite shows is "Burn Notice". I've never noticed her fanny pack. So it's kind of like camoflage. Maybe that's the way to go.
I'm so sorry about you losing your identity. Whoever did that little trick needs to repent now. I totally think you could start a new trend though. Good luck with everything. We love you!
I guess that's why they have lockers that lock in the temple. So sad some give in even though Satan is powerless to tempt us beyond our ability to resist--otherwise we would not have our agency (which used to be called "free" agency) but it is not free because it was paid for by the Savior.
Way to carry on and overcome!
We would have been so sad to have that happen when Walt was bishop of the single's ward during our many FHE's at the Institute building.
Love, Los Petersen - Walt & Eileen - Argentina
If I didn't have school the next day I seriously would have camped out on your step. Now that I know that people know how my technique of breaking into a house. Brother Morley told me not to tell anyone how it was done and I told him that I used that technique all the time to get into the house when I don't have my house key on me,lol. It is just trickier on my steet because you have to be sneaky about it because of the busy street I live on. I even had a cop drive by while I was in the process one time. He didn't even bother to stop. Cops around here are really weird. You get pulled over for the dumbest things but seeing someone breaking into a house, sure go ahead...
I am so sorry Mindy. What an awful thing to happen.I hate it when you have to be so inconvenienced because of someone who had nothing better to do. It makes you feel so violated. We love you. I'm glad you had so many loved ones to help you out. If you ever need anything, we live very close. Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do for you.
Post a Comment