Well, I am officially sleep deprived once again, but this time I have no one to blame but myself...and Elizabeth. As non-rabid fans of the Twilight books, Elizabeth and I decided it would be fun to do the midnight release thing and then have a sleep over at her house so we could read the book together.

Before I continue with the play-by-play of our night, I think I should clarify our fan status. While I can honestly and proudly classify myself as a Harry Potter Freak, Elizabeth and I don't consider ourselves hard-core Twilighters. Sure, we bought and read the book the night/morning it came out, but at no point did we squeal at frequencies only dogs can hear or wear costumes or any other Twilight-related apparel. We simply enjoy the story line and thought that doing the release date thing would be a fun activity. Hence our non-rabid fan status.
Here we are in the car at 11:40 p.m., ready to set out on our adventure.

The line to buy the book went almost halfway across our medium-sized Wal-Mart and included several of my kidlets from school and one or two fellow teachers.

Most of the people in that line could be classified as hardcore fans, so it was fun to visit with them while we waited. Other categories of fans were also represented. There were folks who share the same casual reader status as my mother: people who enjoy the story but weren't really in any hurry to read the new book. There were also a few self-loathers, like my sister Jenny. She is the type of Twilighter who feels like the books are below her, but still has an irrepressible desire to read them, causing her to feel immense guilt at the resulting compulsion to neglect her children in order to get the next installment read.
Chloe, it turns out, isn't much of a Twilight fan. She seemed extremely annoyed that we were keeping her from her usual nighttime routine.

We drove back to Elizabeth's house, put on our PJ's, surrounded ourselves with munchies, and dug into the book. Poor Elizabeth always ends up on my blog sans makeup, but she is a great sport about it.

We started reading around 12:30 a.m. I actually felt pretty awake for most of the night, only taking a dozing break from 3:45 to 5:45 a.m.

Liz, on the other hand, displayed a higher level of intelligence by sleeping from 2 to 6 instead of reading herself into the ground.

Or maybe she needed the sleep since she is so much OLDER than I am....Love ya, Liz!
Being the wuss that I am, the bloodier chapters left me feeling a little light headed so I spent some time trying to get some much-needed blood flow back to my head. I don't know if the feet-in-the-air thing did much good, but having Chloe trying to lick my face off did distract me from my grossed-out-ed-ness.

I officially finished just after 10 a.m. and somehow managed to drag myself and my pillow to the car and then back home.

My final thoughts on Breaking Dawn.... It was a fun read, but not at all what I expected. I approve of the major twists, and of the ending, but I don't think I will be rereading this book as much as the others in the series.
Sorry Edward, you're a delightful distraction, but I'm afraid Harry Potter is the series I am hopelessly imprinted on (J.K. 's Tales of Beedle the Bard comes out Dec. 4th!!!
3 comments:
You have me way beat... I didn't finish until 11:30...pm. But I agree with your sentiment. This was my least favorite of the four books, not that I had any specific problems... I am very settled with the ending, I just had a hard time... stomaching shall we say... some of the plot-lines.
I also had a strange affinity for being close to my impish two year old during the second half of the book... strange - he just seemed so... breakable!
glad you survived your breaking dawn reading. hope you've gotten some sleep.
love the picture of you on the floor. :) hope that won't be me when i read it.
oh - and i don't think the books are below me, i just don't LOVE them but they're addictive and it drives me nuts. i do enjoy them, just not enough to warrant the strees and guilt resulting when i want to lock myself away to read them.
Mindy, here's my link http://krick-krystal.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment