Sunday, February 1, 2015

Walking in a Worksheet Wonderland

Today I started my first post-Relief-Society adventure: teaching the adult Sunday school class.

As you may recall, I held this same calling when I was in the singles branch, but this time around I am going to do things a little different. My goal for this stint as gospel doctrine teacher is to avoid the visual aid overload that ended up cluttering my life the last time. You do remember what happened the last time, right?

I am pleased to say that I did a good job sticking to my visual-aid-less goal for my first lesson today. Of course, about an hour before Church started, I started jonesing for a poster fix. Seriously. It was like I could hear the poster board calling to me. I suddenly became convinced that there was no way I could effectively teach a lesson without the smell of marker fumes hanging in the air.

I  started making a baptismal covenant chart before I managed to pull myself together, but I am happy to say that when I pulled into the church parking lot, I didn't have a single visual aid in my car.

Not a one!

What I did have was a whole pile of worksheets!

Yes, worksheets are my new Sunday school obsession. They are just as fun to make, come in handy for the lessons, and are MUCH easier to store than a bunch of poster board thingies. How much do I love making Sunday school worksheets? 
 I don't teach again until the 15th, but I already have the lesson 7 worksheet done. 
Do I have a worksheet problem? Maybe.
Do I CARE that I might have a worksheet problem? Nope. Not one little bit.
If nothing else, it will give the kidlets a bit of a break from the English and communications and creative writing worksheets I make for them.
I'm sure the Sunday school folks can start expecting thank-you notes from the kidlets any day now.

As much as I enjoy this year's New Testament lessons, I have to admit that I am really looking forward to when the new Come-Follow-Me-esque lessons for adults.


Then I can steal even more ideas from Kar! Awesome Sunday School Lessons for Youth

1 comment:

Kar said...

Really?? Come Follow Me-esque lessons for adults?? Wow! That will be really cool. And I am a worksheet-a-holic, as well. It's a good way to help people mentally stay on track. Your class will be so lucky to have you as a teacher. The church needs good teachers. I found out that I get to do inservice for our RS teachers, and I'm excited about that. You and me - teachers for life!