Sunday, March 16, 2014

Race Day: On Your Mark, Get Set, ADD!

This weekend, I participated in my very first ever 5K: Cowtown's annual  Share a Little Luck Run.

 And by participated, what I mean is that I was involved with a 5K in a managerial capacity as opposed to participating in a scampering or loping capacity. So instead of running, I did something that is even more out of character for me...I did MATH!

Not difficult math, but numbers and spreadsheets were involved. 
And on a Saturday to boot!
What could have compelled me to do such a thing?
I'm glad you asked.

I spent my Saturday morning doing running related math because Dave asked me to. 
You remember Dave, don't you? 
Our awesome school librarian who turned me into an adjective and then helped put together the literary speed dating for my kidlets? 
That's him there, in the black cap. 
L to R: Dave's wife Jan, Jan's mom, history teacher Lona, and  English teacher Jen.
Dave and his wife have helped out with the Share a Little Luck run since it began a couple of years ago. They needed some extra fingers entering in the data for this year's race, and asked a couple of us junior high folks to help out. Since Dave has been so awesome to jump in and help me with the kidlets, I was excited to return one of many favors.

As is often the case when you get junior high folks together, we had a great time. When the race was run and the data was entered, the informal party morphed into an actual party to celebrate Dave's birthday which, coincidentally, was also on Saturday. Cake followed by lunch made the whole "Math on a Saturday" thing totally worth it.

Plus, I got a race t-shirt!
(Quite possibly the only 5-K t-shirt I will ever own!)

And a race beer glass!
(quite possibly the only 5K beer glass I will ever own!)

I think I might have to participate in more 5Ks in the future.
Or maybe even a 10K.
Of course, I will have to do some mathematical training before I am in 10K data-entering shape.
Maybe next year....

1 comment:

Kar said...

Haha! You are truly a renaissance woman. An English teacher, doing Math-ey stuff? I'm very impressed. And I wish I could afford to run in 5K's. Those things are expensive!!