Tuesday, October 29, 2013

2nd Born Children Love Winning Awards

My pal (and sister of my sister-in-law... sister-out-law, perhaps?) Kar was nominated for an awesome blogging award last month. She totally earned it. Her blog is entertaining, enlightening, and honest (the last being a very rare quality in the online world).  You can read her acceptance post here: Kar's Kith and Kin .
Kar and 1/5th of her Kin
Then, because she is sweet, she nominated me for the award. 

Then, because rarely do things when I am supposed to do them (thanks, in part, to my status as a 2nd born child), it took me a month to do anything about it. But this week I resolved to repent and do better. 

The procedure for accepting the award is as follows:

The Liebster Award is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The nominated blog must abide by these rules:

You must link back to the person who nominated you.
CHECK! (Second children love checking items off of lists)

You must answer the questions give to you by your nominator.
SOON-TO-BE-CHECKED! 

You must pick from 5-11 new blogs, each with under 200 subscribers, to be nominated for the award.
 WORKING ON IT (2nd borns also have a tendency to leave tasks partially completed...we are easily distracted)

You must come up with at least 5 questions for your nominees to answer.
THIS COULD TAKE SOME TIME (2nd born children naturally question everything!)

You must go to their blogs and notify them of the nomination.
EVENTUALLY (2nd borns tend to be either super social or a tad bit anti social, I fall under the 2nd category communicating with others is not a high priority in my world)

So here are the five questions posed to me by Kar, and my corresponding answers. 

      1. What is your biggest strength? I think that would have to be the excessive amount of creativity I inherited/was blessed with. It has made all the difference in my teaching, in my Church callings, in my writing/blogging, and in my relationships with family and friends. Second born children have a tendency to say and do outlandish things (in sometimes misguided attempts) to be noticed. We also tend to spend a lot of time "in our heads". An abundance of creativity has also made the boring parts of life a lot more exciting. If you could see what is going on inside my head during dull meetings, long waits in line, when I am supposed to be grading papers, etc., you would be amazed (and probably slightly disturbed). 


2.  What's your pet peeve? It really bugs me when my kidlets try to be sneaky. I honestly and truly prefer the kids to be outright naughty than to attempt to cover their tracks via attempted stealth or subterfuge. I don't know if the sneakiness bothers me most because it 1) implies premeditation of badness, 2)demonstrates a lack of remorse/acceptance of consequences, or 3) they are just so stinkin' bad at it. Second born children often have a sneaky bent, myself very much included. Sneaky is an art. If you can't do it right, don't waste my time.

3.  What is the best advice you've ever gotten? Well, I am very grateful for my sister's advice to start watching Doctor Who (even though she has frequently expressed regret for giving that particular piece of advice). But as far as actual "life" advice goes, I haven't been able to pin point any exact phrases. You see, second children have trouble accepting unsolicited advice. Our independent and competitive natures don't mesh well with spoken advice, but we do respond well to example. The "living breathing advice" that has made the biggest difference in my life has come from watching the way my parents always do their part (and then go above and beyond their part) in our family, at their jobs, and in the gospel. Also, props to Mrs. Grace for giving me the heads-up about not letting Gabriela and Daisy sit next to each other in English. 

4.  If you weren't doing what you're doing now (whether it's employment or full-time mommy) - what would you want to do? This one was the trickiest for me. I decided I wanted to be a teacher when I was in 1st grade when I dressed up as a teacher (an art teacher, to be exact) for career day. There are days when I think it would be smart to do something else, like those few days when Daisy and Gabriela sat next to each other, or when I think about all of the things I want to do that my woefully small paycheck will never fund (Second children hate feeling like they are missing out on something, being purposefully left-out, or cheated in some way. We notice when things aren't "fair" and point it out every chance we get and the monetary compensation for what I do is soooooooo not fair). But if I wasn't in the front of the classroom, I think I would still be in a classroom. I would love to follow my friend, mission comp,  and hero Charlotte's example by getting a graduate's degree abroad. The closest I have come to world travel was the answering machine message at my first apartment in Pocatello ("Hello. You have reached ISU's study a broad...which broad would you like to study? Leah, Tiffany, Mindy, Shannon, etc.)

5.  Are you oldest child/youngest child/middle child?  Do you think it's affected you in any way? I am the second of six children and, um let me ponder this for a moment... YES! 

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Hey, that's me! Sometimes I can't believe I did it. After all that I learned and experienced I'm still an insecure-homebody-bookish-Hobbit at heart :)

Kar said...

Study a broad...hahaha! Thanks for answering your questions. And for such enlightenment on the nature of second-born children. Where did you get your knowledge on birth order, pray tell? I think I might check a book out on it. I think it's interesting. It's made my husband's and my relationship...interesting. (I'm oldest, he's youngest. Sometimes I just want to shake him. Like shaken baby syndrome. But with a grown man.)