Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Deep End

Early Morning Lap Swimming at the city pool has long been one of my favorite things about summer vacation.

 Last year, back when I was young and foolish, I did have a bit of a fling with Water Aerobics. I was lured away from the peaceful sunrise swims by the catchy music and flashy Zumba moves. Lucky for me, Early Morning Lap Swimming took me back this June with no questions and no judgments.

Of course, at 6 freakin' a.m., it's not like Early Morning Lap Swimming can be real picky. Not many people are willing to jump in a cold pool at that time of almost-day, so really Early Morning Lap Swimming pretty much has to take what it can get.

Can I just take a second at this point in the post to draw attention to my official "Season Pass" for the city pool? Card stock and Sharpie: classy, right?

This was my fourth year purchasing a season pass, but this is the first time I actually received a card. Since I have know/have taught all but two of the pool staffers, I usually just waved at the kidet setting out the deck chairs while trying not to wake the one snoozing with his or her head on the front counter. 

I love making the three minute walk from my cute little hobbit home to the pool. I can see the pool lights when I get to the corner, and smell the chlorine as soon as I cross the street. 

I have had many swimming buddies over the years, but the constants have been Elizabeth and Pam. Elizabeth moved to Vegas a few weeks ago, so Pam and I had the pool to ourselves for the last month.

You remember Pam, right? She designed our awesome stake display booth for the fair this year. 

Pam always arrives at the pool early so she can get her serious exercising done before I show up and distract her. My pool routine consists of equal parts swimming and visiting. It's kind of like my extremely early morning walking with Diane: group therapy with a side of exercise. 



Early Morning Lap Swimming is awesome all summer long, but it is at its best in August. 
The cold water is a heavenly contrast to the hot summer air, and there is something really cool about swimming under the stars before the sun comes up.

And while watching the sunrise anywhere is good for the soul, there is something special about watching the sky brighten while swimming. 

If you ever get the chance, you should jump at the opportunity to watch the sunrise while bobbing around in a pool and visiting with good friends. 

I highly recommend it. 

Of course, the problem with an outdoor pool staffed by kidlets is that when summer ends, so does the swimming. So last week I climbed up this ladder for the last time until next June. 
Friday I stepped out of the pool and then on Monday morning...

... I jumped right into the deep end.  
Cannon Ball!

2 comments:

Kar said...

Aw man, I always feel a little sad for you when your summer ends and school begins. But we all gotta make money, right? And even a teacher's lousy pay is better than nothing. Yesterday, Ben is all, "You should work while I stay at home." And I said, "Um, if you want us to make half of what we make, and we already struggle to make ends meet, then sure."

Jenny said...

Is your camera waterproof? Because those water shots are making me anxious. So is the thought of waking up while it's still dark outside. I'm glad you liked swimming in the early mornings. I will stick to sleeping in. :)