During the meeting, we watched a cute young mother entertain her adorable little girl with some really clever homemade crafty thingies.
Now, I am not usually a fan of homemade crafty thingies, no matter how clever. I don't have most of the skills necessary to make crafts, so attempting to do so (or even thinking about attempting to do so) can cause me great stress.
But these particular crafty things seemed like the types of things my niblets would enjoy and, since I am in the middle of Christmas break and therefore relatively school-stress-less, I thought I would give them a go.
The first crafty thingy was a little color matching game. I stopped by the hardware store and picked up some of paint sample cards, clothes pins, and clear contact paper.
The contact paper is optional, but I thought using it to laminate the cards might help them last a little longer.
My nieces were kind enough to test-drive the matching game for me. I know they look less than impressed in the photo below, but that is just because they were concentrating.
I think.
Serious pondering faces not-with-standing, I think the color matching thingy was a success. Although, I am hoping they will leave out the victory cheers when they play during church.
The other cute craft that the cute little mom had for her cute little daughter was a felt version of a classic root vegtable-based toy.
Because the root vegtables, body parts, hair pieces, and clothes are all made of felt, they stick really well on the fronts of church benches, the backs of church benches, and on the suits of any brethren who may be sitting on church benches.
I may have had a little too much fun making pieces for this little quiet game, but the girls seemed to enjoy the variety.
Even without church benches (or suits) on which to stick the little guys, they were fun to build.

After figuring out how quick, easy, and stress-less these crafty things turned out to be, I am seriously considering making a few sets of potatoes and color games to use in the nursery for our stake Relief Society meetings.
The only problem with that plan is that I might be tempted to spend time playing with the crafty thingies in the nursery instead of helping with the actual meeting. The felt root veggies are especially addictive. Even when they are chickens and penguins and root vegtables.
After figuring out how quick, easy, and stress-less these crafty things turned out to be, I am seriously considering making a few sets of potatoes and color games to use in the nursery for our stake Relief Society meetings.
Me, having fun with a craft? It's a Christmas miracle!
3 comments:
The girls loved both of them. Kenna now wants me to make the color game for her- so she can "Play all the time".
Oh my GOSH, what cute ideas!!! My kids would love those! And after yesterday's horrible sacrament meeting (we have it last in the block, and we have church from 1 to 4. Can I tell you of the torture it is to have that schedule when you have teeny kids?), I'm looking for some serious activities for my kiddos to do next week.
cute ideas. i hadn't seen those before.
Post a Comment