Thursday, October 20, 2011

Dance Dance Revolution

I have been working on a scriptural post about this week's electricity-challenged stake auxiliary training meeting. Something along the lines of...

1. And then the other stake auxiliary presidencies came forth to attend the training.
2. And some of the presidencies were wise, and some were foolish.
3. They that were wise brought with them lanterns and flashlights and handouts... none of which required power.
4. But they that were not so wise took no flashlights with them, but instead they did bring powerpoints and LCD projectors. Yea, even CD players did they bring.
5. And at 6:30 p.m. there was a cry made, Behold, the Stake President cometh!
6. Then all those auxiliary presidencies rose to come out to meet him and to hear his counsel regarding the darkness and general lack of power that had befallen them.
7. And the wise presidencies turned on their lanterns and their flashlights. And Mindy said unto them, Give me one of your flashlights, for I have none.
8. But the other presidencies answered saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you.


At least, that is the direction I am heading in. Tune in this weekend for the final result.

But in the meantime, I thought I would share a few scenes from the first junior high dance of the school year. The theme? Hollywood Under the Stars.




This dance was originally scheduled for the middle of September, and the month-long delay only served to increase the kidlets' excitement.



I was a last minute addition to the chaperon squad and felt very lucky to pull this particular dance duty.

The first dance of the year is always the best attended and the most fun. Why? Well, it probably has something to do with the 7th graders having never attended a junior high dance. They are still so....hopeful. And then there is the fact that the 8th graders have had several months since their last dance as 7th graders, plenty of time to A)repress the memories or B)muster up a large amount of hope that being an 8th grader will make the experience a little less awkward.




Now, you couldn't pay me enough to go back to junior high as a student. The 7th and 8th grade years were sooooooooo not my favorites. But even though I never, ever want to BE a junior high kidlet ever, ever, ever again, I am pretty darn sure that they are the most awesome of creatures.




Sure, they are loud, spastic, overly-emotional, and sometimes a little smelly. But they are also smart and funny and brave and creative and a little smelly.




And when they go to school dances, the majority of them actually dance.




Today they jumped around and did the cha cha slide. There was hokey-pokeying, moonwalking, and shuffling. So much shuffling.




And there was (gasp!) slow dancing!



And then there was singing along. You might have mistaken the dance for a karaoke competition. The kidlets did their best Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Bruno Mars, and Hot Chelle Rae impersonations.




But my favorite moment came when the DJ (aka the cheerleading advisor) cranked up the Journey and every single kidlet sang every single word of "Don't Stop Believing". Every. Single. Word. That is when I knew that, even if the state cuts my pay for a fourth time, I'm not going anywhere.



At least not until I finish learning the cha cha slide. And once I get that down, the kidlets promised to teach me how to dougie.



Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go learn the words to "Don't Stop Believing" so I won't lose any more of my street cred at the next dance.

4 comments:

Janiece said...

I can not wait to hear the rest of your parable.
I was so grateful that Kirk set up the lantern for me before he left for the meeting.

I agree I would NEVER EVER want to be in Jr. High again.

Jenny said...

Milo can teach you the hokie pokie, just in case you're a little rusty . . .

Kar said...

Hot Chelle Rae?? I'm getting too old. Who on earth is Hot Chelle Rae??? Hahaha! Oh, it's good to be back looking at your blog. I've missed it a lot. I was in the land of Commies/No Blogs Allowed. But now I'm back, baby, and I will continue blogstalking.

angelicindy said...

I'm catching up on blogs today and you are so funny! Oh, I miss you're funniness :). I'm thinking we should get together soon and maybe visit the temple and eat IHOP :). Maybe November 18th or 19th? Send me an email or facebook message if that might work for you!