Sorry for the delay in the DWA. It has been a crazy couple weeks, but here are responses of the older and wiser junior high kidets. The 8th graders DWA prompt was something about winning a trip to the moon and the three things that they would chose to take with them on such a trip. I have divided the best comments into categories for your reading enjoyment.
Deep Thoughts… for 8th Graders
Today I have been informed that I have won a trip to the, moon. However, I have also been told that because of budget restrictions, I can only bring three things with me. Budget restrictions kind of suck.
I would take my friend. She took me snowmobiling once, and a trip to the moon would totally top that.
I would bring lots of soda. Sure it is bad for your body, but it is so good for your tongue.
Practical Packing
I would bring a smart person so I could talk to them and so they could fix stuff.
I would bring my ipod. I would have said my phone, but I don’t think I’d get service up there.
I would bring my family so I would have people to talk to, NASA so they could fix anything that breaks, and Costco because they have really nice bathrooms.
I would bring a precooked, pre-seasoned steak, a fork, and some floss… besides eating the steak, the fork could come in handy if you got bored because, if you really wanted to, you could use it to rake the moon.
I thought about bringing a phone so I could call for pizza, but I doubt it would be warm and the delivery price would be costly.
Finally, I would take my extra coverage that girls need in case my monthly present comes.
I would bring popcorn to cook over the solar flares. Of course, the solar flares might also cook me, but I’ll probably be fine.
I would take gun. If aliens tried to steal my brain and harvest my organs, I want to be prepared.
I would bring my bed so I could hide under it during meteor showers.
One darling kidlet realized they had forgotten something important as they wrote their conclusion: Finally I am ready to go. We blast off. Suddenly, I feel a chill. Uh oh. I forgot my clothes. Can anyone hear me scream in space?
I would bring clothes, otherwise there would be a full moon on the moon.
Unique Choices
I would bring a trampoline. Just imagine all of the tricks possible when you can jump 8 times higher than normal!
I would bring a Michael Jackson tutorial. What better place to learn to moonwalk than on the moon?
I would take my dog because it would really freak her out when she got to space and started to float.
I would bring my pet goat, Steven, so I would have fresh cheese and milk. Plus, Steven can throw some rockin’ parties. I would also bring my mom so, if I die up there, someone will be there to take care of Steven.
And Speaking of Moms…
I would bring my mom so the cooking will be good. But then I would still need to bring someone to hand out with...
Inside the Minds of 8th Grade Boys
(Note: My very first year at the junior high, I made three observations about 8th grade boys that have proven true every year since. 1) 95% of 8th grade boys smell bad 2) 5% of 8th grade boys smell REALLY bad and 3) 8th grade boys find girls way too fascinating.)
I first, I would take Selena Gomez without even thinking about it. We would walk around and she could sing me some of her songs. Oh, also she would regret about going out with Justin Bieber. I would also let Selena bring a friend. It would be Taylor Swift.
I would bring Taylor Swift, my IPod, and a flashlight.
My choices would be easy: Taylor Swift, my iPod, and a video camera.
I would take a girl. One who was good looking, but not in my family.
I would bring my girlfriend, a video camera, and a chiropractor.
I would bring my girlfriend, so I could get to know her better.
I would take my girlfriend because, if I didn’t, I would never hear the end of it.
Inside the Minds of 8th Grade Girls
(Note: I thought it was very interesting that, while the 8th grade boys wanted to bring along their 8th grade girl friends, the 8th grade girls were more than happy to leave their 8th grade boyfriends at home)
Since I would have one more choice, I would have to choose between my love and my best friend. It’s a tough choice, but I’d go with my best friend.
If I could only bring one person with me I guess I could bring my boyfriend, but I think I would have more fun if I brought my best friend instead.
I won’t worry about bringing any special clothes because I’m pretty sure there won’t be any cute boys on the moon.
I would take my lip gloss just in case there is a stranded astronaut up there. I want to look my best and smell good to make a good first impression.
I would bring my friend Tessa. We do everything together, like when she cut off one of her eyebrows so I cut off one of mine too. You can conclude how our parents felt about this.

In other, non-8th-grader-related news, Spring break has arrived and I will be spending it in Tennessee chaperoning 30 high school orchestra students from the rival school district across the river.
So, now that I have won a trip to Memphis, what three things will I pack to take with me? Tune in next week to find out!
4 comments:
Hahaha! 8th graders are funny. I actually liked teaching them better than I liked teaching 7th graders, because they're not as clingy. But they are bigger jerks, for sure. Selena Gomez is going out with Justin Bieber? Hm. You learn something new every day.
Oh how I've missed you Miss H!
I might have nightmares about the trampoline on the moon. I don't think you would come back down after jumping. Yikes. Not pleasant. Floating around in space. No thanks.
My kids seem to like Selena's music, but they don't think she's cute. I wonder who they would take to the moon.
Oh, how I love your DWA posts! SOOO funny! I can't believe that they cut that out of the school budget! I swear, every year for the last, like 20 years, ID has been all "No $ for schools!" Where is it all going? Sheesh.
Post a Comment