Nephi is a great example of focusing on the positive and recognizing blessings. I’m sure he had a lot on his mind when he sat down to start writing out his account of his family’s journey to the promised land. He must have remembered the threats on his father’s life that led to leaving behind all of their friends and wealth to become professional campers. In the desert. And then there were all of the times his brothers beat him with sticks, before their families eventually split off from his and became their sworn enemies. Nephi had even seen, in a vision, his umpteenth great grandkids total commitment to wickedness and his people’s complete destruction.
But despite all of that, he didn't start out his record with, “I Nephi, having left behind all my stuff and having been beaten senseless by my brothers on a regular basis, and having seen the eventual extinction of my people, make a record of my proceedings in my days.” Nope. Cause that's not how Nephi rolled. Instead, the first verse of the Book of Mormon reads like a rough draft for a 5th verse to "Count Your Many Blessings".
A large portion of that talk had to do with recognizing the countless blessings we are given by our loving Heavenly Father each and every day, including those things that we might consider to be trials or afflictions.
So, in the spirit of that talk (and because I am soooooo thankful to be done with that talk), I am going to spend the next few minutes being thankful for the storms that have hit my valley over the last nine days.
I am thankful for last week's blizzard because it resulted in two snow days that allowed me to get caught up on sleep and blog reading.
I am grateful for the resulting bad roads that resulted in spending my first Thanksgiving in Burley after living here for over six years.I am indebted to the foul weather and ice-covered roads for the wonderful Thanksgiving afternoon I spent with Krystal and her family. We ate so much good food we spent the rest of the evening feeling quite blurry.
I am beholden to the sheets of ice coating all of the streets in our town because they have helped me to better live the commandment to "pray always". I want to express my appreciation for the time being snowed in afforded me to do my yearly re-reading of the entire Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. The Long Winter hit a bit too close to home, but Laura and Almanzo's courtship in These Happy Golden Years makes me day-dream about having a good old fashioned romance.
"Muchas gracias" to the ten+ inches of snow that required shoveling. It helped make up for the early morning exercising that didn't happen last week.
And a great big "danke!" to Sunday's 40 mile an hour winds that blew most of that snow into the next county.
"Domo arrigato" to the Sunday storm that inspired Elizabeth, Ratha, Chloe, and their new puppy to return from Utah a day early. Who could not be grateful for this fuzzy face? (The puppy's, that is. Elizabeth does NOT have a fuzzy face. Although, I'm sure Ratha would still be grateful for Elizabeth's face even if it was fuzzy. I will keep you updated on any Elizabeth-face-fuzz related news as it develops...)

4 comments:
You are too dang cute. I loved this post. Heck, I love EVERY one of your posts. And I really loved your talk. I wish every sacrament meeting talk was as fun to listen to... But no, I'm going to take a page from the Mindy Book and say, "I'm grateful for boring sacrament meeting talks, because they help me to get caught up on some much-needed sleep."
I'm also grateful for snow. I am not, however, grateful for wind. Though I should be.
I would have loved to read/hear your whole talk. It sounds so good! I gave a lesson in YWs about being grateful, and it wasn't nearly as good as that excerpt from your talk.
I'm sure your family missed you over Thanksgiving. We saw them Thursday at the movie theater!
I too am grateful for snow days, though I'm sure not as grateful as I would be if I was a teacher.
I heard your talk was amazing! I feel so bad that may family was so sick. We didn't make it to church and I really wanted to hear your talk. Anson missed school today. It was his turn.
I am grateful that you didn't try to drive home in the snow, and that you had good friends to spend the holiday with. I am also hoping to be grateful for no snow from about December 14 - January 1.
Post a Comment