The opening of the county fair is only days away, which means that the center of the universe is about to shift to that little piece of paradise off Main. Life in this cute little valley all but shuts down during fair week. And dude, I am NOT exaggerating. Funeral have been postponed. 
Everybody usually gets involved in the fair in one way or another. The 4-H kids enter pigs, heifers, rabbits, turkeys, goats and other critters along with beets and cakes and clothing. The adults enter things like photos, quilts, garden produce and woodcarvings. There are floats to build for the parade that the town shuts down to watch. There are concerts, rodeos, auctions, rides, food, and of course, booths.

Our stake has a booth that will eventually house all of the entries grown, baked, or stitched by tour sweet sisters. The stake Relief Society Presidency is in charge of decorating that booth, so Friday afternoon and Saturday morning were dedicated to the decorating process.
My greatest contribution was shellacking a beautiful loaf of bread that my mother and I created. The process of shellacking that loaf of bread taught me three valuable lessons: 1) Shellacking is a fun word to say. Shellacking, shellacking, shellacking ... 2)Shellacking bread on the front stoop really confuses the neighbors, and 3)If blogging ever loses its appeal, shellacking baked good would be a great hobby.
Building the booth was a blast, but I think that Liz and Zealanda may have had a bit too much fun with the staple gun. But they did manage to control themselves just enough to avoid any punctured eyeballs or backsides.
The brains of the operation belong to our beloved Cindy B. She willingly and cheerfully accepted this huge responsibility with only a few short weeks to prepare and did a beautiful job.
Cindy's ideas tied in perfectly with the theme, which should score us some extra points. I a trying to be humble and charitable and such, but I am pretty excited to see what the judges think.
We are up against some pretty impressive competition, like the Oakley Stake...



5 comments:
It looks like you guys, I mean gals, have worked really hard on your booth. It looks great. Hope the Rodeo week is awesome.
Do the people of Burley have any idea what is coming to town friday.
I wish them luck when the 3 Amego's hit town.
The Booth looks AWESOME! I keep saying "Next year" I will enter something in the fair...
yep, still saying!
See you at the rodeo!
Aw... I love this time of year. You've been a busy bee. We don't realize what goes on behind the scenes. We just enjoy the booths.
Wow, your booth turned out awesome. I love your little town. Maybe I should move there. It's so cute, with the pooping roulette and whatnot. It reminds me of the town in Gilmore Girls, which I can't remember the name of right now...
Post a Comment