Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Space Between

Do you remember when Sirius died in the fifth Harry Potter book? How he fell through that veiled archway in the department of mysteries, never to be seen (in the flesh) again? Do you remember how, after that, Harry was talking to Luna Lovegood about the loved ones they had lost? Their conversation went something like this...

Luna: And anyway, it's not as if I'll never see Mum again, is it?
Harry: Er - isn't it?
Luna: Oh come on. You heard them, just behind the veil, didn't you?
Harry: You mean...
Luna: In that room with the archway. They were just lurking out of sight, that's all. Well, when the founding members of our branch presidency were released last spring, that
particular section of dialogue kept springing to mind. I didn't get to see them three or four or five times a week anymore, but I knew they were still around, always lurking just out of sight.

Then, three weeks ago, I was "released" or "graduated" or "kicked out" of the branch myself. And when I passed through the valley of the shadow of branchlessness, I knew that they would be waiting on the other side to welcome me into post-branch life.

This week, I had my first family home evening with my new/old family home evening family. I had been looking forward to it ever since I got old, and loved every second of it.
But even though I am branchless, I have not be left brancher-less. Thankfully, Krystal, Katie, Emily, and Lisa haven't forgotten where I live. And they remember their way around my kitchen too. So I am currently living a pretty darn good life. The best of both words, so to speak.

And one of those worlds includes pork and seeds with hot mustard.
So I am one very happy old person.

5 comments:

Kar said...

Mmmmm. Pork and seeds. One of my faves. I could go for some of that hot mustard right now to clear my sinuses. I'm glad your transition has gone pretty smoothly. And that your friends still love you, despite your graduation to a family ward. :) You sound a little as if you were scared they would disappear. Not bloody likely! You are way too fun for them to forget about you.

Nat said...

Like you said, best of both worlds! And you're totally not old; you're actually the youngest of your new branch, so it's like you're a newborn. A really funny awesome newborn.

The Jones Crew said...

It was so fun to see you on Monday Mindy did you like all of the good food I loved it. It was so good to see you yesterday you are a good friend to have I love you so much Mindy Love, Kristi Jones

Jenny said...

I shouldn't be surprised that you managed to work Sirius into a post. Or that you mixed Harry Potter, religion, and leaving the branch together. But of course, I had no idea where you were going w/ this post when I read the first paragraph or so. Your mind works in mysterious ways.:)

SAYDA said...

You are so cute! What old friends wouldn't love you just because you left the branch? You are an awesome friend! I think that friends that you make along the way will always want to be a part of your life. That pork and seeds look delish!