Friday, March 26, 2010

Why I am a Fabulous Aunt... and a Lousy House Guest

I am a fabulous aunt because I spent my entire spring break week at my sister's house.


I am a lousy house guest because I spent my entire spring break week at my sister's house.


I am a great aunt because I used my camera to take tons of photographic evidence that shows what a great mommy she turned out to be.
I am a horrible house guest because I took photographic evidence of St. Patrick's Day hair dye hiding behind my neffy-poo's ears long after his post-St.Patrick's Day bath.
I am an above-average aunt because I spent a ton of time playing with the baby and keeping the other kids entertained while Jenny put the baby down for naps.

I am a below-average house guest because I spent the whole week referring to the baby as "it" instead of calling it by its name. Also because I spent quite a lot of time trying to convince others that it looks just like Jack-Jack from The Incredibles. It really does, doesn't it?
I am a pretty darn cool aunt because I read to Ruby...

... and kept reading even after SHE, a three-year-old, kept interrupting ME, a literature teacher, to give me direction on how to read the story.

But I am an obnoxious house guest because I bought an iPOD touch and let the kids watch YouTube videos on it. And may have triggered a tetris addiction one or more of the older boys.

I am a much-loved aunt because my presence in the home was a great excuse to try out every favor at the new cupcake bakery near my sister's house.

I am a barely tolerated house guest because I insist upon filling the children full of Krispy Kremes and other assorted junk food.

I am a rockin' aunt because I helped Ruby make cupcakes.

I am an insurance risk as a house guest because I showed the boys how to roast marshmallows... in the house... with a mini blowtorch.
I am a dream of an aunt becuase I buy things like fairy wings for Princess Ruby.

I am a nightmare houseguest becuase I buy things like giant beetles and scorpions that have been turned into jewelry for the sons of my sister who HATES bugs.
I was going to end on that creepy-crawly note, but now that I am hoping to return to Jenny's home for part of conference weekend, I am rethinking things.

Hmmmmmm.....


Quick, Jenny, quick! Remember the cupcakes! Remember the cupcakes!
And I will see you next weekend!

7 comments:

Kar said...

That is hilarious. I think the cupcakes trump all of the damage you may have done. :) And thanks for your kind words on my blog post. You are the best.

Jenny said...

It's a good thing that we have a mutual love of cupcakes. :)

Jk - we loved having you visit. Despite the junk food, ipod touch, bug jewelry, and the fact that you call sweet Milo "it."

Carla said...

Oh, MindyMindyMindy!

Methinks you've been reading too much of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.
I enjoyed all the photos. :)

shymickeygirl said...

I don't think Milo can burst into flames whenever he wants, eventhough I am sure his brothers would think that would be absolutely cool. Wow has Milo gotten big. Cupcakes are really good. Not a big fan of Krispy Kreames though.

Nat said...

You are a superb aunt, and I would guess a marvelous house guest as well. If I had a built-in kid entertainer for a whole week, I wouldn't care HOW it was done!

Janiece said...

I love aunts like you!!

The Jones Crew said...

OH Mindy you are so cute I will see you to night in class I hope you have a good Easter I hope you are having fun with us in our FHE group we love having you with us now Love, Kristi