Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ode to the Moisture Fast

We had a 15-stake fast for moisture a week and a half ago and, because of the faith of the saints in the Magic Valley, the moisture appeared and has been trying to kill me ever since.


As I have been slipping and sliding down the snow covered streets, I have found myself singing a song my cutest companion Sister Reese and I wrote during a snowy Stratford winter. We were inspired by the "Low Traction" light that seemed to be perpetually lit on our car dashboard. If you know the tune of "O Ye Mountains High" (#34 in the hymn book) you can sing along...
Here in Can-a-da high
the snow falls from the sky,
making roads all a-round us oh so slick!
Our car slides to the right
and we scream out in fright;
"Thank Heaven anti-lock breaks do the trick!"

CHORUS:
Low tract-ion!
No tract-ion!
Hear our anti-lock breaks sing!
As a-cross town we slide, it's one heck of a ride!
We just pray to sur-vive un-till spring!

Remembering that little ditty kind of got the lyrical side of my brain going, so when I wasn't busy praying NOT to die in an ice-related car accident, I put together a little "Ode to the Moisture Fast". It is set to the tune of "Choose the Right" (hymn # 239) and once again feel free to sing along...

Moist-ure fast
on be-half of vall-ey farm-ers
Fif-teen stakes, all pray-ing for some snow.
Non-mem-ber drivers kind of want to harm us;
our faith makes driving dang-er-ous and slow.

CHORUS:
Moist-ure fasts!
Moist-ure fasts!
We prayed for sno-ow just as we'd been told
An Arc-tic blast
Thanks to our moist-ure fast;
We're so blessed now to be wet and cold.

Jun-ior high kids a-nd ski bun-nies
beg for snow, and to the heav-ens cry.
But when Saints off-er prayers with growl-ing tummies
sit back and wa-atch those snowflakes fly.

(Repeat CHORUS)

In conclusion, I would just like to propose that, for all future moisture fasts, I should be in charge of the wording of snow requests. I think that praying specifically for "snow in the mountains" or "non-lethal moisture" would help improve relations with our non-member neighbors and lengthen my life span. All in favor?

6 comments:

Heehaws said...

Amen!

Jenny said...

good luck w/ that. :)

love the songs; stay safe!

Charlotte said...

I seriously just sang that song to my roommates the other day, after reading them a couple of your epistles. I was giving Heidi a hard time about white knuckling the drive to Church. You didn't serve in Canada, did you? Nope, Argentina.

angelicindy said...

So Clever!

Janiece said...

Oh my goodness that is funny!
It is amazing what faith can do!
I love the song!
I think it should be sang at the next stake conference.

Kar said...

Those songs are so stinkin' funny. I know - I'm grateful for the moisture for our area, but mainly, I really hate snow. I hardly stepped out into it the whole week we were in Washington for Christmas. I made Ben run all errands for me. It was nice.