Friday, July 20, 2012

Aunt In Absentia

Normally by this point in the summer, I would have been to see my Utah niblets at least three times.
Water guns would have been purchased,  snow cones would have been consumed, Harry Potter movies would have been rewatched, wii games would have been played, and another doughnut garden might even have been planted.

But this hasn't been a normal summer and I have only been to see Jenny and John's kids once... the week after school got out.

I have been an absentee aunt, but for good reason.

 In  case you haven't noticed, this is an election year, so limited contact between Jenny and I is in the best interest of everyone living within shouting distance of my sister's home.

We tend to disagree about political things at a loud volume, before apologizing in our own special ways. I forgive her for being unreasonable by buying her children Nerf weapons and DVD's full of fart jokes. She forgives me for being obstinate by making sure that the evening meal contains the one food guaranteed to give me hives.

Ha ha! Just kidding! It being an election year has nothing to do with my lack of visits.

I mean, sure... Jenny and I do disagree (sometimes violently) about most things political, but that happens every year.  I don't need a political calendar to give her kids weapons and movies heavy on bodily function humor, and she doesn't need a special occasion try to poison me (I like to think that bit is more of a subconscious thing, though).

No, the real reason I have only been to visit once this summer is because this summer has been abnormally busy, for me and for Jenny's family. I have therefore been forced to preform my auntly duties from afar... most recently in the form of personalized CD's for my three oldest nephews.

Bentley, Maxwell, and Jonah listening to their CD's. Photo courtesy of their mama's cell phone.
Bentley ( a.k.a Bent, Bent-el-bee, Yeltneb), is a hip, modern kind of kid. His CD has music as popular as he is and includes Stereo Hearts (Gymnclass Heros), Fine By Me (Andy Grammar), Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen) and his favorite We Are Young (Fun). I also included a couple of Weird Al songs that his mother finds annoying, The Saga Begins and Ode to a Superhero.

Maxwell (a.k.a Max, Max-Pax, Max-Wax) is more of a old school, classically quirky type of guy. His playlist includes We Will Rock You (Queen), New Shoes (Paolo Nutini), Kung Fu Fighting (Cee-Lo Green), and his favorites Drift Away (Uncle Kracker) and Collision of Worlds (Brad Paisley/Robbie Williams). Max claims that his momma doesn't disapprove of any of the 12 songs on his CD, which is sooooooo unlike me. Sorry Max, I dropped the ball this time, but I will do better with the next CD.

Jonah (a.k.a. Joe, Joe-Bo, Scooter) was trickier to soundtrack because he lives and breaths all things animal. I had to do a bit of Googleing, but now Joe jams out to Fly Like an Eagle (Seal), Crocodile Rock (Elton John), Werewolves of London (Warren Zevon), Hound Dog (Elvis), and a few more, including his favorites The Lion Sleeps Tonight (The Tokens), and Eye of the Tiger (Survivor). His non-mom-approved ditty is Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey (Lou Monte) which I thought I was being nice including instead of Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer.

Ruby (a.k.a Rube, Rubi-Star, Her Royal Highness the Queen of Everything) and Milo (a.k.a. The Baby) didn't get CD's this time. If Ruby were to develop a sudden interest in music, her CD would be pretty easy to put together: either a Brittany Spears Greatest Hits collection, or just perhaps just her ode to flirting Ooops I Did It Again twelve times on the same CD. Milo would be trickier. He enjoys backhoes, going to Target with Mama, and not wearing clothes, so what kind of music would he like? Ray Stevens The Streak, perhaps?

Maybe I should wait until after November to make any more CD's? By then I should have a better idea of what I can get away with.

In the meantime, these links are for you Jenny!
I love your guts!


3 comments:

Kar said...

Oooh, I love Dominic the Donkey. Soo funny. It's by far my favorite Christmas song. And I think it's cute you and she disagree on politics.

Heehaws said...

Aren't we going down next saturday?
I wish you would have waited to tick her off.

Jenny said...

I'm pretty sure there is one on Maxwell's cd that I don't like, but I can't remember the name offhand. You haven't lost your touch. :)