Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Competition

My family's yearly 4th of July extravaganza is in full swing this weekend, and this year's extravaganza is even more extravaganzish because (for the first time in 4 1/2 years) the whole family is here.

My mother and I are celebrating this momentous family occasion by having a competition to see which of us can have a more corrupting influence on Jenny's baby. And just so you know, I am TOTALLY winning.

Granted, my mom isn't exactly AWARE of of our competition, but if you were to ask any of my siblings, they would all agree that some of the best things in life happen when our mom isn't exactly AWARE of them.

My mom opened the competition with one of her sure-fire grandma tricks: letting the baby eat as much sugary junk cereal as it wants.
The baby's mother only let's it eat sugary junk cereal on Sundays, and even then there is a two-bowl limit. So it didn't come as a surprise to anyone when the baby started requesting marshmallow frootloops every thirty five minutes.

He was downing the empty carbs and artificially dyed sugar so fast, he needed two spoons.



So round one when to my mom; good luck to Jenny trying to talk the little guy into eating grapenuts ever, ever again.


But I came back strong in round two of the corruption competition by introducing the baby to the concept of embracing the appearance of evil. Apple Beer may be nonalcoholic, but the dark long-neck bottle still makes for some excellent photos.

And the combination of the sweetness and the bubbles had the baby hooked after the first sip.




***Note to Readers: No babies were intoxicated or in any other way harmed during the production of this blog post...


... despite what the photographic evidence might suggest. ***



So round two of the corruption competition goes to Mindy.

But stay tuned, we still have a long weekend ahead of us. And Grandma is not above fighting dirty, especially if she realizes that she is in the competition.


Now, if you will excuse me, the baby is thirsty and it is time to teach him how to work the bottle opener.

5 comments:

Kierst said...

Maybe you'll win this competition being with your mom, but if you were competing with your dad, I wouldn't be so sure.

Heehaws said...

I think Milo is winning. He is getting everything he wants and more by playing both sides. I am proud of the little 2 year-old.

The Jones Crew said...

Mindy I love to read your blog keep up the good work Love, Kristi

Jenny said...

I am going to have to keep a closer eye on you guys this trip . . .

The Jones Crew said...

Mindy I hope you are having a Happy 4th of July Love, Kristi