Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Traditions, Part III

Who knew a vacation could be so much work? Of course, it is the good kind of work. The productive kind of work. The kind of work you do while visiting with family. And most importantly, the kind of work you can snack on.

Today my mom and I jumped head first into another Thanksgiving tradition, candy making! I took a confectionery class at Ricks College and learned how to make many different kinds of fancy candy, but my favorite recipes are the ones that have been passed on to my family from friends. My mom and I started out by making the first of two batches of cream cheese mints.

Then, while she started the first of two batches of caramels, I moved on to another Thanksgiving tradition...helping my dad put up the Christmas lights. My dad and I have been putting up the lights on the day after Thanksgiving for many, many years (with the exception of the Christmas I spent as a missionary) and I am proud to say that in those many, many years I have never once let him fall off the ladder.



Greg's most important Thanksgiving tradition is using his manly muscles to stir my mom's heavenly fudge. It is a really tough job that he does really well, so I'm thinking he is going to have to get called to the Pocatello Idaho mission so we can drive to his apartment next year so he can continue to put his muscles to good use.


The only one who didn't participate in any of the traditional post-Thanksgiving work was Chloe. She annexed the nest of blankets Kylie had been napping in and took the rest of the day off.


I may have to annex that tradition next year... YAWN. I am going to need a vacation to recover from my vacation!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

man, i want some of that candy. i'd better get busy making some sweets for our family. :)

Nat said...

Cream cheese mints?? Do you have a recipe for 'em that you wouldn't mind sharing? Or maybe I'll have to just happen to stop by your parents' place... YUM!! We've yet to do our lights this year...

Kar said...

I'm like Nat - haven't touched the lights yet. Sigh. Yummmm - fudddggggeeee. I love fudge. And those cream cheese mints sound amazing. You should bring some to my parents' house tonight - we'll all be there! Hint, hint!! I need a vacation from my vacation, too. Killer. Especially the 5K I did with Dad and Lex. Holy crap.

angelicindy said...

i love traditions! It's always fun to learn what other people do and why it's special to them. it always seems to go back to family, don't you think?